Thread: Only black screen with blinking cursor after first installation

Beans

Only black screen with blinking cursor after first installation

I tried installing Lubuntu on my old eeePC T91. It was previously running Joli OS 1.2 (Ubuntu 9 based) which now is retired.

I uses the alternate installer for 15.04. The installation went without any issues. However when I now start the PC it never starts booting. It shows the BIOS screen and then just a black screen with a white blinling cursor (blinking line) and then nothing happens at all. Meaning the system does not boot at all. I tried the installation twice with the same result.

Whats the issue? Is it possibly related with the boot manager? I choose to install it to the MBR? Should I choose a different option?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Only black screen with blinking cursor after first installation

Hi, welcome to the fora.

In a live boot of Joli or another distro please run
    Code:
    sudo lshw -sanitize > lshw.txt
    and post lshw.txt in CODE tags.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Seems that you need the boot option nomodeset. Follow the pictured guide please.

Beans

OK. That solved the issue. i might add that when using unetbootin to create the USB stick for installation I did not have the possibility to set this option. Therefore I suggest do use (at least from windows) the tool rufus to create the bootable USB stick. The PC now boots but the touchscreen does not work properly.