Thread: Posting links in forum?

Beans

Posting links in forum?

I noticed today that there is no longer a taskbar available which you could click before, like if you wanted to add a link. All I can see is that you can post [URL] and no HTML is supported either, so I cannot post a link without writing out the whole link, and it's very irritating, especially if the link is at above 100 characters.

I seriously don't know what has happened to this forum (!), but for now I'm wondering how I can add this manually?
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Posting links in forum?

You do not see three rows of buttons above the text input box?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Maybe OP is blocking some javascript?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I believe these buttons are what you are looking for and they are still there, so it may be the settings in your browser.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Perhaps the OP is using the quick-reply box and not going to the Reply to Thread button.
    The quick-reply box has only a very limited number of toolbar icons; perhaps the ones he wants are those missing from this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Perhaps the OP is using the quick-reply box and not going to the Reply to Thread button.
    The quick-reply box has only a very limited number of toolbar icons; perhaps the ones he wants are those missing from this.
    @khelben1979:
    If this is the case ^^^, just click the Go Advanced button
    Attachment 261835

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by khelben1979 View Post
    All I can see is that you can post [URL] and no HTML is supported either, so I cannot post a link without writing out the whole link, and it's very irritating, especially if the link is at above 100 characters.
    As others have said, the link icon is still present in the toolbars of both the quick and advanced post editors. They haven't gone away. And if you want a basic url hyperlink, you don't need them. Simply copy-paste your link into your post and the forum software will automatically add BBCode url tags around them in order to create a hyperlink in your post. No need to to type them out by hand.

I'm not sure what you mean by html support. If you mean that the forum doesn't support active html in your post that affects how your post is rendered on-screen, then of course it doesn't! That would be a major security hole. What it does support is a very comprehensive range of BBCode tags that allow you to achieve some sophisticated formatting, if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by khelben1979 View Post
    I seriously don't know what has happened to this forum (!)
    Nothing has happened to the forum, but perhaps something has happened to your browser. Make sure you aren't blocking scripts of the forum or yahooapis.com. See if a new profile in firefox helps.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Thanks for the replies. It definitely looks like my browser is blocking it.
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.