Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are there any plans for an official Ubuntu Cinnamon flavor?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Are there any plans for an official Ubuntu Cinnamon flavor?

Quote Originally Posted by mikodo View Post
    I haven't, but have you tried using Openbox, instead? Would that do it? Seems one can replace xfwm with openbox, as outlined in this Ubuntu Thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=Xfwm
    Thanks! I hadn't considered OpenBox. I'll give it a think.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    It is my understanding that we have a Ubuntu Mate version because one of the Mate developers wanted to do it. So, does anyone know if any of the Cinnamon developers are up for the challenge? Surely, the desire for a Cinnamon flavour of Ubuntu goes beyond installing a Cinnamon desktop and removing the Gnome desktop.

Cinnamon is the Mint's team project. Not sure they'd see a reason to create an official Ubuntu derivative.

Mint's also currently rebased on 14.04 LTS and Debian 8 for the LMDE2 releases. Getting Cinnamon working on later releases might take some effort.

I believe Martin Wimpress had significant experience with Arch and Debian before taking up Mate with Ubuntu. Someone could similarly launch an effort for Cinnamon. I'd suspect, though, that it might be more of a moving target than Mate since Mint is interested in making it work best on its own releases.

Beans

There is a ubuntu cinnamon flavour, which is called Linux Mint (Mint is just rebranded Ubuntu with a different UI basically)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    There is a ubuntu cinnamon flavour, which is called Linux Mint (Mint is just rebranded Ubuntu with a different UI basically)
    Right, but it's a bit unfair to just call mint a ubuntu cinnamon flavor, there's a bit more to it than just ubuntu with cinnamon slapped on to it. They have several GUI tools built-in that are not part of ubuntu, they are on their own release schedule, they try to polish cinnamon as much as possible, etc.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntuman001 View Post
    Right, but it's a bit unfair to just call mint a ubuntu cinnamon flavor, there's a bit more to it than just ubuntu with cinnamon slapped on to it. They have several GUI tools built-in that are not part of ubuntu, they are on their own release schedule, they try to polish cinnamon as much as possible, etc.
    I agree, calling Linux Mint Ubuntu Cinnamon edition is like calling Ubuntu Debian Unity edition

With the little knowledge I have on how a distribution is put together it is obvious to me I can't - that being said I am still working on creating a re-mastered ISO after the fact that has Cinnamon and not Unity and looks and behaves properly. Biggest PITA thus far is that most if not all the tools I have found have been discontinued or doesn't "work as advertised" as the last documentation and on-line help for them are several releases old.

But I keep trying as time permits

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

@not found, sounds like an interesting project.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Man View Post
    @not found, sounds like an interesting project.
    Frustrating... think I am going to switch of Virtual Machines for a bit and play some games

Beans

Installing Cinnamon now, I would be willing to help with this.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntuman001 View Post
    Ah, alas I have not the time to undertake such a project, was just curious if anyone had started a similar project. I imagine it's in low demand since cinnamon is a linux mint invention, and most people wanting it would probably just install regular linux mint for that purpose. Still, now there is ubuntu mate, so I can imagine ubuntu-cinnamon becoming an option in the near future, that is, if someone were to undertake that project
    I am one of those people who'd run Ubuntu Cinnamon rather than going with Linux Mint. Ubuntu is what I've "grown up" with on Linux. I understand all its vagaries and am consistently impressed by the QAQC.

However, and, this has become a deal breaker for me, Unity 'sucks rocks'. I first was introduced to it last September when I returned to Linux after a hiatus of two years. Knowing that Canonical does good work I spent months using it and trying to appreciate its merits (& I'm as happy in Mac OS X as I am in Windows 7 as I am in iOS as I am in GNOME as I am in... you get the picture). I did find it to be quite stable and predictable (unlike the odd quirk in Cinnamon under Linux Mint). In the end, my conclusion is that there isn't any solid research or design philosophy behind it. What's driving Unity I do not know but it simply doesn't work.

As a long-time Ubuntu fan it really pains me to say this, but I now understand why Linux Mint replaced Ubuntu as the most popular distro on distrowatch . Cinnamon under Linux Mint 17.1 isn't exactly the most stable GUI but it's orders of magnitude more usable than Unity. And, when I tried Cinnamon under Ubuntu 14.10 I found it much less polished than Cinnamon under Linux Mint 17.1.

I'd love to see the developer energy that's put into making Unity a stable piece of software go into Cinnamon instead. I'm no fan of Linux Mint, nor of Cinnamon, per se, but, within a week of discovering Cinnamon in April, I'd moved most of my Linux installs over to Linux Mint because the user interface doesn't frustrate the living daylights out of me. It actually works and works very well. The only Linux machines still on Ubuntu are those that run Arduino software and that's because I don't see any point to taking the time to re-install Linux Mint instead. The interface may be poor but does that really matter if all you're doing is running one program!

PS Apologies if this rant has been made before and there are policies in place against it. I just felt compelled to add my two cents with my complaints about Unity and the benefits of Cinnamon.
    Last edited by eric-dunbar; May 17th, 2015 at 05:11 AM.

Beans

PS My summary of Unity is that it's built by the department of redundancy department.

The dock should be part of fixed menu bar at the top of the screen (like Cinnamon) but isn't or in-app menu bars should be part of the fixed menu bar at the top of the screen (like Mac OS X). The Unity solution just doesn't make sense .

In the end the fixed menu bar just doesn't make sense and wastes real estate. It doesn't serve a purpose since Ubuntu still allows in-window menu bars and it ALSO has a launcher.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast