Thread: Cloud/Server service compatible with ssh/rsync

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Cloud/Server service compatible with ssh/rsync

I'm not sure how to look for this, and of course just searching on duckduckgo (or google) I mostly get biased reviews (paid for blog posts I presume).

So, I'm looking for a good cloud storage which I can SSH into and preferably use rsync. This is to make an offsite backup of my current backups (one on a Raspberry pi and another on a drive attached to my work computer, both to which I rsync into, but one which is failing atm.).

I'd probably use about 2TB of storage.

Best option of all would be a web host where I could also install my owncloud, ttrss and other software.

I imagine all clouds use some sort of RAID to prevent loss of data from disk failures, right?.

What is your experience on this? Or do you think there is a better place I can ask.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Cloud/Server service compatible with ssh/rsync

Since it's a support request, moved to the Server Platforms sub-forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

"There is no cloud, only other people's computers" but with that said about privacy they nearly all tend to support SSH and rsync, especially if they are running some GNU/Linux distro. So it's mostly a matter of finding one in the price range you want. I saw some articles last year, but cannot find them again, that showed a data loss rate in the mid-single digits. So for me that indicates they are not a substitute for backup. Anecdotally I knew of two instances where the hosting service failed and lost data. I had the latest backups off line so I was able to restore and get going, another person lost a few days of business records because he was relying on the hosting provider.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Oh right, I forgot to mention I looked into amazon cloud drive, and it didn't seem to support ssh. I think the same might go for dropbox and the like.
    And sure, there's the whole privacy issue... I'm concerned about that, I just hope familiy pictures and videos shouldn't pose that much of a risk (but they could of course).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ok. That kind of service. I looked into them for my own potential use a while back and never got far. There were a lot I ruled out like Box, Dropbox and Amazon Cloud Drive.
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-priv...s-cloud-drive/
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...ndition_of_use

Spideroak fared somewhat better. There were others but I can't recall them at the moment. Of the category of those kind of services which require specialized client software, I didn't find any that I would feel comfortable using and eventually was so slow in searching that I found other solutions. However, a new service in that area is Tarsnap, but I haven't had time to look in depth at its specs. Curiously, some code does seem available for the client:
    https://www.tarsnap.com/download.html

Beans

I run virtual machines at Linode. They are an excellent, reliable provider with great support. The cheapest VM is $10/month.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users