Thread: Xubuntu 64 bit LTS GNU/Linux is near perfect for me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Xubuntu 64 bit LTS GNU/Linux is near perfect for me!

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P notebook PC and it came with Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 bit and I had a genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 DVD-ROM installation disc as well as the genuine Lenovo system recovery CD-ROM discs. I threw them out in the garbage because I got fed up with Microsoft's products and services and I installed Ubuntu 14.04.2 64 bit LTS GNU/Linux. After using the Ubuntu Unity desktop environment and window manager for a long period of time, I got tired of it because it is too restrictive and locked down. I installed the Xubuntu-desktop software packages and the modern XFCE desktop environment and window manager are a breath of fresh air for me. It has tons of unique features and capabilities and it is highly customizable. I can tailor it to meet my specific usage case scenario and digital workflow exactly. It's also lightweight and very fast. The new Whisker menu and top panel can intelligently hide itself which are features that I was looking for. I also like the fact that most of the features work right out of the box except for the XFCE power management. I still have not figured out how to fix that problem yet. XFCE is a great desktop environment and window manager because it is utterly transparent and it disappears to empower the user to get his work done efficiently and effectively. There are tons of customization options available and it is equally well suited for beginners and power users alike. This is the best one that I have used in a long time and I am very happy and satisfied that I permanently switched to Ubuntu GNU/Linux because of the tons of available choices and the freedom and power to make my own decisions as how to use my notebook PC to meet my specific needs. I find that Microsoft Windows 10 is trying to copy some of the GNU/Linux features and capabilities and it took them several decades to do so at a very high cost. The Microsoft ecosystem is very expensive period. Ubuntu GNU/Linux saves me precious time and money daily especially in terms of software and subscription costs. XFCE is my daily driver now and it will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Xubuntu 64 bit LTS GNU/Linux is near perfect for me!

Well said!

Beans

so whats up with the power management ?

i disable/never the display & locking stuff, pretty much just use the laptop lid.

hp mini 210-1010nr

Beans

I have installed xubuntu 14.04 on some guy's computer and he told me that he always get logout in the middle of a video. Is that what you are talking about? I would like to fix that without disabling the logout stuffs.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I had a problem where lightlocker would blank my screen while watching video, even though I had told power manager to never blank my screen.

I ended up uninstalling lightlocker and installing xscreensaver.

After that, having screen power settings in power manager told to never blank my screen has been honored.
    I can still lock my screen. Only, I get the xscreensaver lock instead of the lightlocker xdm logout style lock.
    And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick: "rational thinking."
    But, when you're good and crazy? Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! The sky is the limit!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi Welly Wu.

I'm not sure what your specific problem is with the Xfce power management.

Have you looked on this page, to see if under the bugs, one has a work-a-round for you.

Xfce forums. They might have an answer posted for your problem, or, you could ask those people. They are very knowledgeable.

If, you know this all already, well, just trying to help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Suggesting you post a support thread in a support area with a title describing the issue to increase your chances of support. This is not a support area and not the place to look for or give it. Thanks and good luck.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; May 4th, 2015 at 09:35 AM.