Thread: Ubuntu 14.04 | Files | Active Search Indicator?

Beans

Question Ubuntu 14.04 | Files | Active Search Indicator?

Hello Ubuntu Forum Members!

Does anyone know how I can tell if a search I am performing in Files is still running? I keep stumbling over this, as I do not know whether there are simply no results or whether the search is still running.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Anotherman

EDIT #1: Sometimes a little indicator shows up in the bottom right corner of the Files window. It does not show up every time I do a search, though.

EDIT #2: It seems as if this occurs only when searching NTFS volumes.
    Last edited by anotherman2; May 8th, 2015 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Additional information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 | Files | Active Search Indicator?

It sounds like there is a problem (yeah OK I guess that is obvious or you would not have posted in the first place.).
    I just tried searching my home in files and was able to find things buried three and four levels deep in just a matter of seconds. It could take longer if you are searching through your entire system.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thank you,
    GG -----------

Beans

GrouchyGaijin,

Thank you for replying! Sometimes search is really fast for me, too. But there are times when it takes quite a while, and although the indicator does not show up, I can tell the search is still going on b/c of more results popping up.

I was wondering whether the indicator should be present whenever there is an active search going on, and if perhaps there is a known bug causing it to disappear/not show at times.

I was also wondering if there was any other way to tell when a specific search has finished.

Anotherman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If by indicator you mean the small word "searching" that appears in the bottom right hand corner of the window in which you are conducting the search, then yes it seems to disappear on my system when at least part of the search criteria have been met. Regardless, as you pointed out the search does continue even though the word searching is no longer visible. Honestly, this is the first time I've even noticed the word "searching".
    Last edited by GrouchyGaijin; May 8th, 2015 at 06:21 PM. Reason: typo
    Thank you,
    GG -----------

Beans

Yes, that is the indicator I was referring to.

So basically there is no way to tell whether (a) there is no file meeting the specified search criteria, or (b) the search is simply still in progress w/o any results so far - am I correct?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So it would seem.
    Actually when I need to search for something that
    Code:
    which
    or
    Code:
    locate
    can't find I use this alias which I have in my .bash_aliases file

Code:
    alias myfind='read -p "Searching for: " search_string; find / -name "$search_string" 2>/dev/null'
    I type
    Code:
    myfind
    in the terminal and when it says
    Code:
    searching for:
    I type
    Code:
    *<thing I want to find>*
    Thank you,
    GG -----------