Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15.04 (Vivid Vervet) Know bugs and work-a-rounds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

15.04 (Vivid Vervet) Know bugs and work-a-rounds

This was another fairly quiet release, there weren't any major problems, although for some, with systemd being installed by default, may be a problem. There is still an option in grub to start using upstart, so for those that seem to think systemd is bad, they can still start the same old way.

Please post your bug fixes or work-arounds here. If you have any questions, please ask them in the appropriate sub-forum.

Edit: It seems that systemd and upstart are installed by default on Ubuntu and Xubuntu.
    Last edited by cariboo; April 30th, 2015 at 10:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Skype icon not showing in system tray, Kubuntu 64bit

After installing Skype on Kubuntu 15.04 64 bit, the Skype icon does not appear. This is because it relies on the 32 bit version of sni-qt which is not pulled in on the default install. You can rectify this by:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install sni-qt:i386
    Restart Skype and icon will appear.
    $> cd /pub
    $> more beer

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Running graphical apps with sudo results in black screen of death - Kubuntu

When you run a graphical app with sudo within Kubuntu 15.04 it may cause these apps to write as root to .cache and other folders in your home directory. Subsequent boots may result in the desktop failing to load and you are left with a black screen and cursor. This is scheduled to be fixed in subsequent Plasma releases. In the meantime, if this happens to you the fix is to Ctrl+Alt+F2 which will open a terminal. Log in and enter:

Code:
    sudo chown username:username ~/.cache/*
    Obviously replace 'username' with your username. After a reboot, the desktop should load again. Thanks to Marcin Sagol for this fix.
    $> cd /pub
    $> more beer

Beans

Re: Skype icon not showing in system tray, Kubuntu 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by timgood View Post
    After installing Skype on Kubuntu 15.04 64 bit, the Skype icon does not appear. This is because it relies on the 32 bit version of sni-qt which is not pulled in on the default install. You can rectify this by:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install sni-qt:i386
    Restart Skype and icon will appear.

Thanks! This worked for skype. I have the same problem with pidgin icon. I wonder if there is a way to fix it too.

Beans

Re: 15.04 (Vivid Vervet) Know bugs and work-a-rounds

Menu options greyed out for some applications (e.g vlc) It is a bug in indicator-appmenu https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1430059 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...c/+bug/1447224

Thanks go to mc4man who pointed out two workarounds. One solution involves rebuilding appmenu-indicator with a patch from the first link to launchpad, mc4man kindly provided the step by step instructions for that http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2277447

Edited: The method above to rebuild the .deb creates one with exactly the same version number as in the repo, so it will get updated even if pinned in synaptic. A clumsy way to work around it, apart from manually unchecking it in synaptic eveytime running upgrade(not sure how to do it with sudo apt-get upgrade) is to extract the .deb created above with file roller (then delete the original deb) Open the folder, go to the subfolder DEBIAN and edit the control file to change the version to something higher (like changing the last digit from 1 to 1.5) and then rebuild the deb again from this with dpkg -b and then install this second .deb instead (from the terminal : dpkg -b path/to/folder/extracted/from/first/deb) There must be a way to do it without having to rebuild the .deb a second time but I don't know how.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 11th, 2015 at 07:16 PM.

Beans

guayadeque is broken in 15.04 because libwxsqlite is upgraded from 3-2.8 to 3-3.0 The application freezes if you try to edit a tag. Workaround is rather easy, grab the .deb for guayadeque-svn in Trusty from https://launchpad.net/~anonbeat/+arc...+build/5966962 or https://launchpad.net/~anonbeat/+arc...+build/5966963 (64 or 32 bit)

For Unity users, the catch is that if you install the .deb directly the music lens would not show any music because the guayadeque scope doesn't work with guayadeque-svn. So one more work around is in order. Extract the deb with file roller. Delete the original deb. Now open the folder created from extracting the .deb. go to the DEBIAN subfolder and edit the control file to change the name from guayadeque-svn to just guayadeque and the version to something higher than the version of guayadeque in the repo so it won't get updated (0.3.7.01 would work) then rebuild the .deb with

Code:
    dpkg -b /path/to/guayadeque/folder
    Now install the deb, note that libwxsqlite is not installed as a dependency. This svn is actually an older version (3.5, repo version is 3.7) But it works without issue and the music shows up in the music lens if the guayadeque-scope is installed (from repo)

Edited: I was able to build guayadeque from source using libwxsqlite3-2.8-dev from Trusty. It plays music and doesn't freeze when editing tags, but it crashes when switching tracks in the middle and sometimes by dragging tracks around in the playlist. So I got rid of it and reinstalled the svn.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 16th, 2015 at 09:49 AM.

Beans

Audacity crashes a lot because it is compiled against the wrong version of wxWidget http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewto...p?f=48&t=84636

Work around is to install audacity 2.10 from ppa linked in the post above.

Edited: Here is a better ppa https://launchpad.net/~mc3man/+archi...u/ffmpeg-test1
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 19th, 2015 at 07:30 PM.

Beans

Re: Running graphical apps with sudo results in black screen of death - Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by timgood View Post
    When you run a graphical app with sudo within Kubuntu 15.04 it may cause these apps to write as root to .cache and other folders in your home directory.
    The real solution is to use gksudo (ubuntu, xubuntu) or kdesudo (kubuntu) that are safe.
    They change the $HOME variable to avoid corrupting /home/username.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: 15.04 (Vivid Vervet) Know bugs and work-a-rounds

I have been playing around with the ATI/AMD HD drivers fglrx fglrx-core and found that on many distros I was getting a blank black screen after updating my graphics drivers like SteamOS and Ubuntu 15.04.

Now I have a HD7700 and SteamOS needs a HD8500 SteamOS would install, but after the update I would get the black screen, I could hear the cursor moving over options but could not use the program.
    Because of this I thought I would try out Ubuntu and also found when I updated the fglrx fglrx-core from ATI/AMD Drivers site it would leave my system with a black screen again.

So after some research I found out that the fglrx fglrx-core are not suited for my ATI/AMD HD graphics card and in my search I found a new set of files: fglrx-updates fglrx-updates-core fglrx-updates-dev

To Sum it up:
    fglrx
    fglrx-core
    fglrx-dev
    :is for HD8500 ATI/AMD "HD Graphics cards" upwards
    ------------------------Replace with files below----------------------------------------
    fglrx-updates
    fglrx-updates-core
    fglrx-updates-dev
    :is for between HD5800 to HD8500 ATI/AMD "HD Graphics cards" The Packages here might work on HD8500 and above but have not tried...

Hope this helps you install the Drivers and Control Center.
    Last edited by lanparty-s; June 17th, 2015 at 02:34 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

That's news to me, since I have an R9 290X running on fglrx-updates.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast