Thread: Booting from live USB freezes when menu item clicked

Beans

Booting from live USB freezes when menu item clicked

So I was trying to reinvigorate my much older brothers laptop (a dell latitude d600) and it freezes when I run the usb. This is what pops up, as expected (http://i.imgur.com/5CbreP5.jpg). But when I clicked any of the options, it froze and then showed a weird corrupted line on the top edge (seen here, http://i.imgur.com/FpspNyF.jpg). I tried it on 2 different usb's and even tried Elementary OS, but the result was the exact same. My boot settings were fine, but the laptop completely freezes. I was wondering how I would be able to fix this. The laptop is in stock condition.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Booting from live USB freezes when menu item clicked

What are the specs for the machine in question. Sounds like it may not have enough ram to Handel the distribution you're trying to install.

Beans

It is running Windows XP 2002 Service Pack 3 with Intel Pentium M [1600 mHz] clocked at 1.59 gHz. And it is fitted with 1.25 GB of ram (which is ideal, I would imagine, for Lubuntu). Thank you for the prompt reply, I really am at a loss as to why it would not work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Yes you're correct Lubuntu is a lighter version and should perform much better being your machine does not have a lot or ram. Creating a bootable usb is also important. Do you have another computer on hand that you can see if that usb will boot from?

When I create a Ubuntu usb If for any reason it does not boot up on the machine I'm working on I will then see if it boots up from another machine to help me determine what might me causing the problem.
    Last edited by RobGoss; April 30th, 2015 at 01:39 AM.

Beans

Hi,

You can try F6 from the main menu and select nomodset.

If I recall correctly that model may have a ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 graphic card.

Beans

use the "nomodeset" option, you have a graphics glitch.