Thread: So many .goutputstream-* files in ~/... but WHY?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So many .goutputstream-* files in ~/... but WHY?

When I look at my home directory, with hidden files visible, I see multitudes of .goutputstream files (eg .goutputstream-HQVUOX). I take it these files are created when I look at some graphical output or somesuch and are safe to delete? More importantly: can't I have them written to /tmp, so they'll automatically disappear on reboot? All these files in my home directory make it very difficult to locate other "hidden" files that I might need to find; and their existence is so irritating!

Is there anything I can do about them, other than periodically deleting them manually? I know typing
    Code:
    rm .goutputstream*
    is trivial... but why do they go into /~ anyway? Grrr...

Running Ubuntu 12.04. I know this is logged as a bug on Launchpad - but still no cure? If I knew how to, I'd squash this bug as a matter of urgency. It's expensive throwing laptops and/or monitors through windows in frustration...
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: So many .goutputstream-* files in ~/... but WHY?

some time ago (long ago) i also had such mysterious files, but never found what was creating them (probably a plugin somewhere, or java) now my system run without java and they never came back, so ... but i've also deactivated scripting into the browser

Beans

longstanding bug with many theories, ect.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...dm/+bug/984785
    No longer an issue with recent buntu's, I guess still happens in 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I had that very problem when I was using Xubuntu 12.04 and I added the command
    Code:
    bash -c "rm .goutputstream*"
    to the listed autostart-applications to remove any such files at the start of each session login.

Those files are just an annoyance, and do not cause any real problems, but like you I wanted to get rid of them anyway.