Thread: Minecraft 1.8 Stopped working after java update.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Question Minecraft 1.8 Stopped working after java update.

So when I woke up this morning my computer ran a java update and then I tried to run my Minecraft .jar and all it did was open the archive manager.
    The file is still marked to allow executing as program. I have spent about an hour going over the forum and trying to make this work but nothing is working.
    If anybody has had luck it would be great.

I am currently running 14.10.

P.S. I also got the prompt to upgrade to 15.04 today, I haven't done it because I usually wait a month or so for the bugs to get worked out. If anybody thinks it would help I am always willing to give it a shot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: Minecraft 1.8 Stopped working after java update.

I read something somewhere that an update may have broken running a jar from whatever file viewer by double clicking it (maybe for security reasons). Have you tried running it from a terminal? cd to the directory it is in then do: java -jar Minecraft.jar

If that works you could write a simple shell script to cd to the directory and launch the minecraft launcher. Put the script in a ~/bin directory, if that does not exist, create it (mkdir ~/bin) and once you logout/login that ~/bin directory will be in your $PATH. Make sure that the script has execute permission.

Personally I use a desktop launcher to launch minecraft. Desktop launchers are created with Main Menu, also known as alacarte package. But that does not expand shell metacharacters (like ~/) or sometimes command line parameters unless you use something similar to this:
    Code:
    sh -c 'java -jar ~/Downloads/Minecraft.jar'
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans
    Distro

Update / Self Bump

I tried:
    @C850D:~/Games$ java -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -cp minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame

but got this as a result:
    Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: -javaagent:/usr/share/java/jayatanaag.jar
    Error: Could not find or load main class net.minecraft.LauncherFrame

If anybody knows how to load net.minecraft.LauncherFrame or whatever that program is it might solve my problem.

Beans
    Distro

I tried your suggestion but got this response.

Error: Unable to access jarfile /home/colin/Games/minecraft.jar

If you know how to get around this, or a re-install that doesn't require a .jar file that would be great.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Note that unlike Windows, file names are case sensitive in Linux. So minecraft.jar is not Minecraft.jar.

Memory sizes and LauncherFrame were an old method that was used for the old minecraft.jar (little m) launcher (which is NOT the minecraft.jar in ~/.minecraft). That does not work for the current Minecraft.jar (big M) launcher which simply uses java -jar Minecraft.jar (or path_to/Minecraft.jar)
    Last edited by efflandt; April 26th, 2015 at 02:55 AM.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans
    Distro

It worked, and sorry about the stupid typo on my first attempt.
    When I ran it I got this:

Code:
     @Satellite-C850D:~$ sh -c 'java -jar ~/Games/Minecraft.jar'Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: -javaagent:/usr/share/java/jayatanaag.jar 
    Current proxy version: 7
    Gotten proxy version: 7.0
    New launcher not downloaded
    p: /127.0.0.1:60134
    [21:04:04 INFO]: Minecraft Launcher null (through bootstrap 4) started on linux...
    [21:04:04 INFO]: Current time is Apr 25, 2015 9:04:04 PM
    [21:04:04 INFO]: System.getProperty('os.name') == 'Linux'
    [21:04:04 INFO]: System.getProperty('os.version') == '3.19.0-15-generic'
    [21:04:04 INFO]: System.getProperty('os.arch') == 'amd64'
    [21:04:04 INFO]: System.getProperty('java.version') == '1.7.0_21'
    [21:04:04 INFO]: System.getProperty('java.vendor') == 'Oracle Corporation'
    [21:04:04 INFO]: System.getProperty('sun.arch.data.model') == '64'
    [21:04:04 INFO]: proxy == SOCKS @ /127.0.0.1:60134
    [21:04:05 INFO]: JFX has been detected & successfully loaded
    [21:04:12 INFO]: Refreshing local version list...
    [21:04:13 INFO]: Refreshing remote version list...
    Proxy - onConnect - GET http://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download/versions/versions.json
    [21:04:13 INFO]: Refresh complete.
    [21:04:16 INFO]: Loaded 1 profile(s); selected
    [21:04:16 INFO]: Refreshing auth...
    [21:04:16 INFO]: Logging in with access token
    Proxy - onConnect - POST http://authserver.mojang.com/validate
    Proxy: Authserver
    Proxy postedJSON: {"clientToken":"06ee0e47-f433-4f35-a413-87cc72090475","accessToken":"a6b2362dabc331949ed1bb79bd530d4b"}
    So apparently the new launcher didn't download with the last update.

One last thing, since I have never made a script before could you point me to thread / tutorial on how to set it up.

Thanks for everything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

For a shell script it is best to put them in a bin directory in your home directory, because once you have logged out and logged back in, that ~/bin will automatically end up in your $PATH, so you can simply type the script name to run it without needing an path to the script. If you have not made a bin directory you can create it with
    Code:
    mkdir ~/bin
    The next time you login, that will be in your $PATH (echo $PATH). Write the script with a text editor and save it to that bin directory. Give the file execute permission either using the file manager, right clicking, select Properties > Permissions and marking the Execute box at the bottom, or in a shell by doing chmod +x scriptname. Then you should be able to run the script by just typing its name without any path.

The first line of a script called a shebang line (for the #!) tells the shell what should be used to interpret a script. The #! should be at the beginning of the first line, but space(s) or not do not matter between that and path to the interpreter. The first line of a simple shell typically uses #!/bin/sh which would use a slimmer shell than bash called dash. If you specifically need something bash can do, but dash cannot, you could use #!/bin/bash

Anything after # in any other line is a comment that is not executed.

Then you enter lines with any commands you want to run, anything from a single command line with a bunch of standard paths and parameters, multiple commands if you want to do a sequence of things, or more complicated scripts that loop and/or make decisions. For example this is a script to run a minecraft server:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    # Change cd line to your path to minecraft_server.jar
    cd ~/Minecraft-server
    java -Xmx3G -Xms3G -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
    If you want to make a desktop shortcut, click on Dash (Search your computer and online sources) icon at top of Unity bar on left and search for Main Menu. Once you add New Item there, log out of X and log back in, you can launch your program from Dash. And while it is running you could right click on its icon in Unity bar and Lock to Launcher.
    Last edited by efflandt; April 26th, 2015 at 05:09 PM.