Thread: Trying to get PS3 controller working under Ubuntu 15.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Trying to get PS3 controller working under Ubuntu 15.04

Hey, I upgraded to Ubuntu 15.04 specifically for its new controller support. However, I am trying to get my PS3 wireless controller working, without success so far. I do not have bluetooth on my desktop, so am using the cable that came with the PS3 controller to use it in wired mode. I thought PS3 controllers were now supported and would work out of the box once you plugged them in, which I have done. Or am I doing something wrong?

Jared

Beans

Re: Trying to get PS3 controller working under Ubuntu 15.04

I think the controller support you were expecting was because you assumed they would be including Bluez5, but they have not. Instead they are on the Bluez4.1 still. I have just upgraded from 14.04 to 15.04 for this very purpose over the past few hours, hence I've discovered the same as you. Apparently they are still in the 'blueprint' stage of implementing Bluez5 which I assume means there isn't even any coding going off yet. If I find out more I'll post an update, it may be the case that we'll have to continue using sixpair or buy another controller.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah i checked and apparently that is the case. My guess is they are so busy working on other parts of the OS that Bluez5 support isn't available yet. we might have to wait until 15.10 comes out before we get Bluez5 support

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jaredbuck View Post
    Yeah i checked and apparently that is the case. My guess is they are so busy working on other parts of the OS that Bluez5 support isn't available yet. we might have to wait until 15.10 comes out before we get Bluez5 support
    Is this the case with all controllers or just PlayStation?