Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for New Users to make Linux more Enjoyable!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Suggestions for New Users to make Linux more Enjoyable!

Quote Originally Posted by orb9220 View Post
    6) And most of all SLOW down
    I think you've got things upside down in terms of numbering. I mean #6 should go first and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by josys36 View Post
    Anyone who is not used to working with computers will have issues getting a linux system up and running
    There is always something not up and not running even if you've spend your whole life working with computers. The point is - if you want to make more stuff up and running you still have to learn. No substitutions. Even if all you have to do is just point and click, you have to learn where to point and when to click. I hate ipod because it is too featureless, but I know people who have trouble to use it because they do not want to learn even four clicks. Linux is a little more complex than ipod.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

But Aysiu, the first two points you quote are true...

Hi there. Name's Nathan. Ubuntu user for a month now. There definately IS a rethinking that needs to occur when one makes the switch from Win to Lin. There's more work to do as well. But for your efforts you get a more open OS, a more stable OS and speaking for myself, a sense of satisfaction because you've come apart from the masses who will not endevor to improve their situation.

Ok, that last bit was a little over the top, but you get the point.
    n.
    Last edited by Nathan Otis; August 2nd, 2006 at 05:04 AM. Reason: clarification

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

sorry for the double post. Not seeing where to delete (... been a long day)
    Last edited by Nathan Otis; August 2nd, 2006 at 05:02 AM. Reason: double post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by orb9220 View Post
    They seem to want to learn only enough to get them by and then down the road
    That is natural. You cant know everything. I'm still troubleshooting my wireless card, but I'll quit as soon as it starts working. I't is not my intention to learn all the wireless technology. But so far it seems like I have to

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I could have guessed those six requirements. And I have most of them covered . But I think that several people need to know 1; about hard drives. I've done plenty of file management and partition experiments since my first computer (ten years ago), and I still don't understand some things. If you know about a great 'hard drives and file systems for dummies', and raise publicity, then, yeah, then, obviously that would, help, umm, duh?
    Where was I? Oh yeah; when someone makes a guide about hard drives and file systems for dummies, then people will be smarter with Linux (and computing in general), and then we'll see more operating system switches.
    Last edited by SoloSalsa; August 2nd, 2006 at 05:00 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12