Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: File Drawer(Nautilus) Does Not Display Alphabetically in 14.04 Gnome Metacity

Beans

Re: File Drawer(Nautilus) Does Not Display Alphabetically in 14.04 Gnome Metacity

When you are in list view -
    Go Cog icon > Preferences > Views > Arrange by: set to Name
    Close that menu, then -
    View menu > Reset View to Defaults

If that doesn't set list view back to Name/alpha .. then do the deal about deleting user file, ect.
    (logging in to a tty is simple, type username, press enter on keyboard, type in password, press enter on key.., type in sudo reboot press enter..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: File Drawer(Nautilus) Does Not Display Alphabetically in 14.04 Gnome Metacity

If you arrange files/folders by clicking on "modified" in list view then that folder will
    arrange as "modified" in the list view no matter the setting in preferences.
    The preference setting doesn't override what you manually change to in a given folder for each view.
    Icon view and list view can also have different arrange settings for the same folder.

Open your home folder in list view, click on "Name" in the top bar to arrange by name.
    Close.

Reset your preference in dconf via terminal (default is by name)...
    Code:
    gsettings reset org.gnome.nautilus.preferences default-sort-order
    Open Files in list view and home should be organized by "name" as indicated by the small triangle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CantankRus; April 23rd, 2015 at 04:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Solved. When the home folders are displayed in list mode, clicking on the column heading titled NAME toggles the order to alphabetical - that simple. (Toggling again, and the list order makes no sense that I can observe, and not tied to modification dates, but no matter for my needs.) I never would have thought to click on the column heading to make a change, driven instead to use the drop down menus via the icons. This method was not intuitive for me.

@pc4man. Thank you for your suggestion on how to solve the problem by a digging a bit deeper, I'm sure it would have worked - I did play with going to the virtual screens and logging back in - yes, easy to do.

@CantankRus. Thank you. You put me onto the solution I needed with
    Code:
    Open your home folder in list view, click on "Name" in the top bar to arrange by name.
    Challenging, but life is good with Ubuntu again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12