Thread: Xfce panel clock stopped

Beans

Xfce panel clock stopped

Just noticed this little bug. Anyone else have problems with the xfce clock?

Problem: Default XFCE 4.10 clock panel add-on freezes upon boot-up in Xubuntu 14.04.2.
    Workaround:
    Use Orage clock instead:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install orage
    Add Orage clock to panel, remove default clock.

Screenshot - 04212015 - 12:49:27 AM.jpg
    Last edited by zablankinship; April 21st, 2015 at 05:40 PM.

Beans

Re: Xfce panel clock stopped

lol, it's cause it's lunch time, 1 hour & it'll work again.
    Last edited by kerry_s; April 21st, 2015 at 07:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I had a similar issue a while back where xfce pinged a time server for the current hour, but would use my motherboard CMOS clock for the minute value. My motherboard was fifteen minutes faster than any other clock I had.

Changed the time in the BIOS and things went back to normal for me.
    And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick: "rational thinking."
    But, when you're good and crazy? Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! The sky is the limit!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Does running ntpdate manually fix the problem ?

Code:
    sudo ntpdate {0,1,2,3}.ubuntu.pool.ntp.org && date
    Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

Output for:
    Code:
    sudo ntpdate {0,1,2,3}.ubuntu.pool.ntp.org && date
    is as follows:
    Code:
    21 Apr 10:55:58 ntpdate[2504]: adjust time server 129.6.15.30 offset -0.181174 sec
    Tue Apr 21 10:55:58 EDT 2015
    Looking in the Date & Time properties, it seems like the clock starts at boot up, but then freezes up. According to my system settings, it knows what the correct time is, its just that the panel clock does not recognize it. If I remove the clock from the panel, re-add it back on, it updates to current time. Strange that is. Heres a shot of my settings...
    *Note: when I opened up the clock settings, the clock panel time jumped ahead about 4 minutes ahead of actual time, and now it is once again frozen. Can't make it happy
    Screenshot - 04212015 - 11:00:17 AM.jpg
    Last edited by zablankinship; April 21st, 2015 at 04:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

I'm not sure what the reason why your panel clock is not working however i use the orage clock that also contains a calendar.

If you install the orage clock and add that to your xfce-panel, do you still get the same issue ?

Code:
    sudo apt-get install orage
    Add to the panel like any other applet.

You may have to restart the panel to show the clock (i can never remember).

Code:
    xfce4-panel --restart
    Does the orage clock work for you ?

Kind regards

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans

Yes, I have Orage installed and that clock works just fine. So it seems the problem lies in the default clock add-on. By the way, a panel restart does not fix the default panel clock, so still not sure what's going on with that. But I may just end up using Orage from now on anyway.

I have installed Xubuntu 14.04 many times and this is the first I've seen of this, so its more of a freak glitch than anything else.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by zablankinship View Post
    Yes, I have Orage installed and that clock works just fine. So it seems the problem lies in the default clock add-on. By the way, a panel restart does not fix the default panel clock, so still not sure what's going on with that. But I may just end up using Orage from now on anyway.

I have installed Xubuntu 14.04 many times and this is the first I've seen of this, so its more of a freak glitch than anything else.
    It's a weird one alright and without further digging I, for one, am clueless to the reason why

If your happy using orage though, further investigation is mute and probably not the most beneficial use of both our time.

You may want to mark this thread as [SOLVED] but i'll leave that decision up to you as it's more of a work around.

Kind regards