Thread: Postfix issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Postfix issues

I went line by line trying to install Postfix so I can install Mailman for my mailing list. When I try to connect to dovecot, with telnet mail.biblematters.net 25 which was installed as well, this is the error message I received.

root@ubuntuServer:/etc/dovecot/conf.d# telnet mail.biblematters.net 25
    Trying 192.1xx.xxx...
    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
    If I leave off the mail portion I get in.

Where would I open up permissions so it would communicate?

On the browser side I see this error message - The requested URL /cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo was not found on this server.
    Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) Server at biblematters.net Port 80
    Last edited by Mike_Hughes; April 21st, 2015 at 01:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Postfix issues

Not only a simple DNS issue ?
    Code:
    dig mail.biblematters.net
    telnet mail.biblematters.net 25
    will connect to Postfix.
    Which tutorial / how did you installed postfix & mailman ?
    Nicolas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What I received when I ran the dig mail.biblematters.net

Code:
    ; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-3ubuntu0.2-Ubuntu <<>> mail.biblematters.net
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 45765
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
    ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;mail.biblematters.net.         IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    biblematters.net.       599     IN      SOA     ns69.domaincontrol.com. dns.jomax.net. 2015041801 28800 7200 604800 600

;; Query time: 109 msec
    ;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
    ;; WHEN: Tue Apr 21 09:29:32 CDT 2015
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 118
    Would be nice if there was a working iso of Mailman that I could get on my server some how and then make changes needed for my list.

I tried to use the Ubuntu install guide for Mailman

I have been working on getting Mailman to work on Ubuntu 14.04 the last 3 days. A tough one indeed. I got it all in and can even telnet to it. But when I try and type in http://www.biblematters.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo

I get this error message - Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo on this server.

Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) Server at www.biblematters.net Port 80

Now What I am wondering. Is this. When I installed Apache2 and set up Virtual Hosting. I set up these directories. /var/www/www.mikealrhughes.com/public-html for my www.mikealrhughes.com website and it is working.
    I also setup /var/www/www.biblematters.net/public-html. This is the Mail Server Doman. Should I get rid of the Biblematters directories? I couldn't get the bloody Italic to shut off so I bolded it to set it apart from the above error message. I can't find the cgi-bin/mailman directories on my server either.
    Last edited by howefield; January 28th, 2017 at 10:25 AM. Reason: code tags added.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

premission denied can mean that there are now read permissions on that folder. have you tried changing permission something like:

chmod -R a+r /var/ww/path/to/folder/with/error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That was my thinking I went in to try and find the cgi-bin directory and it says it isn't there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do you have a directive like this in your apache conf file:
    Code:
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
            <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
                    AllowOverride AuthConfig
                    Options ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
                    Order allow,deny
                    Allow from all
            </Directory>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Where do I put this - You must configure your web server to enable CGI script permission in the $prefix/cgi-bin to run CGI scripts. The line you should add might look something like the following, with the real absolute directory substituted for $prefix, of course: Exec /mailman/* $prefix/cgi-bin/*

or:
    ScriptAlias /mailman/ $prefix/cgi-bin/

Yes it is in my mods-enabled. Well I got with the folks on mailman-users and it turns out the Mailman install on Ubuntu.help is way behind the times. One of the people there is helping me fix the issues.
    Seems now I have an issue with Postfix again the install guide here needs updated to what mailman wants now. From what I understand it is at least 3 versions behind.
    Last edited by howefield; January 28th, 2017 at 10:25 AM. Reason: posts combined.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Hughes View Post
    I tried to use the Ubuntu install guide for Mailman
    Where is this guide online ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

it is under help.ubuntu

I am using the help.ubuntu.org's Mailman install "recipe". I was running through Postfix configuration again. I get to - Associate the domain lists.example.com to the mailman transport with the transport map. Edit the file /etc/postfix/transport:lists.example.com mailman:Now have Postfix build the transport map by entering the following from a terminal prompt:sudo postmap -v /etc/postfix/transport

I looked in /etc/postfix there is not a file called transport or a directory called transport so I could not get lists.biblematters.net mailman: to run.

So I am thinking that is where my issue is that lists.biblematters.net is not associating with mailman.

Anyone have any ideas on this one? My server configuration is to run Virtual Hosting for Web Hosting on this machine and a mail server for my Biblematters.net mailing list. The www.mikealrhughes.com site is working ok. Even though the next step once I get the mail server to work is install Word Press. All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks to Mark Sapiro on the Mailman-User Forum got the Mail Server up and going. If you are going to install Mailman on Ubuntu got to list.org and get their Installation guide.
    Last edited by howefield; January 28th, 2017 at 10:26 AM. Reason: font properties reset to default..