Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Symple PC (OS:Ubuntu) (desktop) - Only $89!

Beans
    Hidden!

Thumbs up Symple PC (OS:Ubuntu) (desktop) - Only $89!

Here is a desktop computer for only $89! It's intended as a simple business computer, nothing high end with a guarantee of at least 80GB of space, 2GB of ram, a 2.8GHx processor and at least 3 USB ports. (On Average they tend to exceed these specifications) so not a high end gamer's PC or anything, but something for those who can't normally afford a computer. It however doesn't have a CD/DVD rom, but a external isn't expensive and even buying a external you still pay less then normal so meh.

!!UPDATE!!: Recieved the computer this particular one has 2 pentium 4's at 2.80 GHz, 2,5GB of ram, a 80GB drive and I think two fans.

Site: http://symplepc.com/
    Last edited by MasterNetra; April 25th, 2015 at 04:10 PM.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans

Re: Symple PC (OS:Ubuntu) (desktop) - Only $89!

that's pretty nice if it's real. to many sites are popping up these days grabbing money & disappearing.
    this reminds me of ubutab, said to be a scam. http://www.ubutabshop.com/

Beans
    Hidden!

Seems legit, - http://fossforce.com/2015/04/kicking...-89-symple-pc/, they were able to buy one and it got delivered. Been around sense February, can't find anything that would suggest it's a scam.
    Last edited by MasterNetra; April 20th, 2015 at 07:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This looks awesome for a student on a budget

Beans

i don't know basically your buying a used computer. there using old computers for parts.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    i don't know basically your buying a used computer. there using old computers for parts.
    Well it is made from recycled parts, your not going to get a new computer for $89 (at least not yet, I give it 5-10 years) this obviously isn't going to replace new/higher end computers or anything, primarily these are workstations for businesses, but are also good for those who want or need a computer but don't have much money. I've purchased one for my dad, he doesn't know much about computers and just likes to play his old win95 games and look up stuff on the internet, so I'll just have to setup wine and install his games and he should be good to go.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    True. But when was the last time you bought a used computer for < $100 that had been gone over with a fine-toothed comb and had bad components replaced?
    Last edited by QIII; April 24th, 2015 at 05:23 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    True. But when was the last time you bought a used computer for < $100 that had been gone over with a fine-toothed comb and had bad components replaced?
    Not to mention it comes with a 1 year warranty.
    Last edited by MasterNetra; April 24th, 2015 at 05:36 PM. Reason: forgot a word.

Beans

Considering the specs, I think it's better to go for an Asus Chromebox which you can buy brand new for 159,99$, and I've seen a used one in very good state for 114,99$ on Amazon. That's a done deal for me, if I am looking for a low-price , yet amazing desktop computer.

What you get our of the box:

- 2GB RAM DDR3, 16GB SSD HDD
    - Intel HD Graphics
    - Built-in Wifi and Ethernet port
    - Intel 2955U Celeron 1.4Ghz (Haswell technology)
    - HDMI, display port; 4 USB 3.0 plug; mic/speaker jack.

Yet I do support these eco-friendly initiatives, I think they are welcomed. Though I would not run a full blown Ubuntu on these specs, but probably something lighter such Xubuntu or Lubuntu.
    Last edited by night_sky2; April 26th, 2015 at 01:36 AM.

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

In my opinion Symple PC is a very good buy for it's stated purpose. They keep e-waste down, provide a decent warranty and the customer gets a decent machine. It is not aimed at users that need a high end solution and it is priced where just about anyone can afford to have a computer. If I were in need of a system for my kids this would be an ideal choice!

I recently recycled a computer with similar specs myself. Symple PC provides the minimum specs but these could be exceeded provided the parts are available. They do provide a new case made from recycled materials, that's a nice touch in my opinion. I hope they do well with this and the idea catches on with others interested in offering low cost solutions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast