Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: will upstart be killted during next dev cycle ?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: will upstart be killted during next dev cycle ?

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    The way it is now is both are provided by default but systemd is first in the grub menu list. I think you are right and not sure if upstart will be automatically provided as time goes by. It is what it is. <smile>
    I can see you got me perfectly right.
    BTW, I too have to select upstart every time by the 'Advanced' sub menu in grub as I am not too experienced with messing in there, rather being afraid of breaking something vital...Plus, the way of editing things is totally strange, as you're not supposed to directly edit grub.cfg, but instead edit a sort of template which then on its part creates a grub.cfg. Dunno where the deeper sense of this methodics is (I wished I could simply edit it the normal way), but they must have had their reasons to do things that way mustn't they...

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    upstart comes already installed on vanilla Ubuntu and Xubuntu not that it comes default. On all the other flavors it does not come installed
    No, it's not missing by default on all the others. As you can see, I'm running Lubuntu, and even Saucy had it installed - by default. And it even booted using upstart by default; not until they decided to made systemd default, problems started (making me wonder if the d in systemd actually stands for disintegration or even disaster )
    Last edited by syntaxerror74; May 5th, 2015 at 10:56 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Reasons? Want some guesses from me?

Canonical has already ruffled plenty of feathers introducing Unity and changing their mind about supporting Wayland development in favour of Mir. So, why cause even more hate comments by sticking to Upstart?

The quick decision to go over to SystemD following the wise decision not to get involved in the arguments the Debian developers were having seems to me to be a smart move for improving FOSS community relations.

Besides, the Debian developers have to do all the ground work.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

From what I gathered after watching the live keynote speech by M. Shuttelworth I take it that Canonical is sincere about collaboration with these newer projects and is definitely interested in mending fences and building bridges. With systemD there is always leeway, the possibility that bugs will be ironed out and breathing room to introduce even newer and more legacy friendly concepts that could perhaps replace it in the future if the need arises.

Regards..

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345