Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: will upstart be killted during next dev cycle ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: will upstart be killted during next dev cycle ?

I don't think it's been killed - if that was the case Xubuntu wouldn't have it.

More likely to be odd recommends or something in a flavour's seed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post

But, how come only 2 flavors got it out of the 6?
    Ubuntu
    Kubuntu
    Xubuntu
    Lubuntu
    Ubuntu Gnome
    Ubuntu Mate

I installed upstart and could not logout, restart or shutdown. I looked at the uninstalled suggested packages and none looked like they would fix the problem.
    Besides, I'm trying to be a regular user who doesn't know anything about all of this and I don't care to investigate what it would take to get upstart working on Mate.

So for me and most others I believe it is in fact dead on all but those 2 flavors. I also don't understand why those 2 were the chosen ones to come with both.
    I guess that was the intention all along which did surprise me.
    I expected both to come on the final release ISO. But that was not what happened.

I'm OK with it though systemd runs fine on my system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

UpStart works nicely, fast and responsive (even more than with SystemD at the moment). ShutDown and all are working as they should. Just wanted to try. It even makes me think of staying with it for some time...
    This is a sort of offtopic in this part of Forum(s) (now that 15.04 is not in testing anymore) but...
    Last edited by zika; April 25th, 2015 at 06:54 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Ubuntu
    Kubuntu
    Xubuntu
    Lubuntu
    Ubuntu Gnome
    Ubuntu Mate

No idea at all - just the guess.

Frankly I don't really care much either - I mentioned it to a couple of other flavour people - my job done

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I hear you. It would be good for ubuntu as a whole if it (upstart) remained a staple for xubuntu past 16.04 so as noobs could make a more sensible and comprehensive migration until they can wrap there minds around systemD , especially those migrating from other non-ubuntu distros to ubuntu.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo View Post
    Did you forget about LTS releases? Upstart will be supported at least until April 2019.
    Phewww. THANK GOODNESS. That feels very comfortable. I reckon that up to said date, I'm easily going to be able to do without systemd, which has been nothing but trouble so far.

Besides, why was there a decision at all to move from upstart to systemd in the ´Buntus? Does the latter come up with any technical advantages?
    Last edited by syntaxerror74; April 25th, 2015 at 03:42 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ubuntu
    Kubuntu
    Xubuntu
    Lubuntu
    Ubuntu Gnome
    Ubuntu Mate
    No idea at all - just the guess.

Frankly I don't really care much either - I mentioned it to a couple of other flavour people - my job done
    LoL! Well if you don't care then neither do I!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I hear you. It would be good for ubuntu as a whole if it (upstart) remained a staple for xubuntu past 16.04 so as noobs could make a more sensible and comprehensive migration until they can wrap there minds around systemD , especially those migrating from other non-ubuntu distros to ubuntu.

Regards..
    So, are you saying people who use Xubuntu are noobs? I can't help it lol that is what I got from your comment.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by syntaxerror74 View Post
    Does the latter come up with any technical advantages?
    It would be easier to answer if You've made Your question other way around. Of course it does...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

So, are you saying people who use Xubuntu are noobs? I can't help it lol that is what I got from your comment.
    No. That is not what I am saying. For example on one of my laptops I have a working utopic 14.10 (unity) install. It just barely made it with the ATi Radeon graphics it has on board. Just yesterday it notified me that a new version , '15.04 vivid' was available. Utopic currently uses upstart as default. So if I was a real noob and went ahead and upgraded the version and then broke my system (as a noob would see it) that would be very discouraging, especially with the verbose 'version 219' popping up at boot and all the other errors that come with systemD on now , recently made legacy and obsoleted machines.

However , if you have some expertise and want to configurate systemD into the new development version as they roll off the pipe then that is not really fair to the rest of the newly created novice ubuntu database. Is it?

So actually xubuntu would be the smarter man's choice for machines that are regurgitating verbose code on systemD. If you have the *time* to sit and configurate files to make things smooth once again then more power to you's, but don't expect it from noobs who are just dipping their toes in the ubuntu waters.

Me? I 'm just a tester like most of you here. I just try to work it (systemD) as best as I can. It works very well on some machines and very poorly on others. It is not 'globally' friendly across the wider spectrum of available form factors that are currently in the wild.

In my first couple of posts I pointed out how I have been growing a daily install of ubuntu-gnome from day one. It had problems with systemD and upstart and nVidia drivers. nVidia drivers worked out as did systemD but it seems that upstart has been left flapping in the wind on that particular distribution (some of you have better success than others) but you are working the development boards every day. A noob or potential prospect/convert has no idea how the development process works and I am just opining that systemD could scare them off.

Perhaps I'll try another update/upgrade and see if I had missed some finals on that install.

Regards..

Edit:

Ahem .. cough ...ahar... cuff...sniff... Eeeeeeeeehhh.. ! ahh... uh (just clearing the dust that some whino kicked in me face (said with deep Irish accent ) I think I may have a motherboard issue on that one machine that is causing upstart to malfunction.

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; April 25th, 2015 at 07:59 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast