Thread: Metro 2033 Redux through Steam [Linux Native Client] OpenGL 4?

Beans

Metro 2033 Redux through Steam [Linux Native Client] OpenGL 4?

So via a recent sale I got Metro 2033 Redux at a nice price. It's supposed to be supported in Linux but I'm having issues launching it. It tells me I need OpenGL 4.0 support. A quick run of glxinfo tells me I have "OpenGL 3.3.0 NVIDIA 331.113". My video card is a Nvidia 9600 GT and the driver of course is the 331.113 from the Additional Drivers tool. I've read conflicting info as to whether I simply need to somehow upgrade my driver or if my 9600 GT simply isn't supported in OpenGL 4. Does anyone know the answer to this? If it is supported how can I update to OpenGL 4 without bricking my system? I have never been able to get a current nvidia driver from their website installed without bricking my system. Their webpage lists the current driver version as 340.76 so obviously the Ubuntu repo is very behind the ball.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Metro 2033 Redux through Steam [Linux Native Client] OpenGL 4?

I never had problems installing the latest drivers from Nvidia site, after I had a older driver from Ubuntu already present, as this makes sure all is there. The nvidia driver should simply say "updating current driver".

Beans

As far as I know OpenGL 4 is somehow the equivalent to DirectX 11/12. The 9600 GT simply doens't support it, since it's too old. Anyway, also the performance would be very bad. If you want to play the game maxed out you'd need a nVidia GTX 970. To play it with high settings (but not maxed out) you'd need a GTX 960 anyways. My 560 ti is having hard times to play the game on linux. The performance of the engine is worse compared to windows. With the same level of details I have more fps on windows. I simply just don't wanna use windows...

Edit:
    DirectX 10.0, Shader Model 4.0, OpenGL 3.3, and PCI-Express 2.0

9600 GT Wikipedia
    Last edited by cRaZyBisCuiT; April 28th, 2015 at 02:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Metro Last Light works perfectly with my GTX770 in highest settings.