Thread: Aliasing the 'run' command?

Beans

Aliasing the 'run' command?

Wasn't sure where to post this exactly, as it's not like there's something wrong with my setup, I am just curious to see if this is possible.

Basically, is it possible to use the super (windows) key to run the alt+F2 command in say, ubuntu mate for example? Obviously in unity the super key works by default, but I was wondering if it's possible to implement it on other desktop environments.

I was reading about aliasing commands a bit, but unsure how to go about this exactly.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Aliasing the 'run' command?

Basically yes, via keyboard application (or custom) shortcuts.

Go to the settings menu, > Keyboard > set a custom shortcut (on xfce called "Application Shortcuts") for the Alt + f2 combination there (you could just as easily set it to use the "super" key). On xfce I set "alt + f2" to run "xfrun4", that is the run dialog for this DE. You would need to set the mate equivalent to "xfrun4".

The "super" key (aka "Windows key") is referred to as "super" for the purposes of keyboard shortcut setting. But to set it usually only requires pressing the actual key or key combination.
    I'm not sure what process name Mate uses for the run dialog, but when you find out what it is, it should be able to be set for use via keyboard shortcuts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I was playing games using [Ctrl] & [Alt] for actions in game when that 'super' key was introduced; I removed the left hand one on the first couple of 'new' keyboards I got after these three new keys were added because a finger would stray across it at crucial points in networked games and give my opponents a fairly big advantage momentarily. I thought the one on the right was great, and the 'context-sensitive menu' key, but that one on the left just bugged me.

I haven't vandalised a keyboard in quite some time when I found it being referred to as the 'super' key I didn't think it was apt very fitting at all.
    NEED HELP? | [SOLVED] | MS hide
    A little nonsense now and then...
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yetimon_64 View Post
    Basically yes, via keyboard application (or custom) shortcuts.

Go to the settings menu, > Keyboard > set a custom shortcut (on xfce called "Application Shortcuts") for the Alt + f2 combination there (you could just as easily set it to use the "super" key). On xfce I set "alt + f2" to run "xfrun4", that is the run dialog for this DE. You would need to set the mate equivalent to "xfrun4".

The "super" key (aka "Windows key") is referred to as "super" for the purposes of keyboard shortcut setting. But to set it usually only requires pressing the actual key or key combination.
    I'm not sure what process name Mate uses for the run dialog, but when you find out what it is, it should be able to be set for use via keyboard shortcuts.
    Ah yup, I found the keyboard shortcuts app under preferences. It doesn't allow me to just use the super key (it treats the super key as a modifier) but it does allow me to use the "right click" key on my keyboard (the one in between the right alt and right ctrl). This is practically the same so it works for me.

Thanks for the suggestion!