Thread: Errors when compiling 32-bit emulator plugin on 64-bit system

Beans
    Hidden!

Errors when compiling 32-bit emulator plugin on 64-bit system

I'm having difficulty compiling a sound plugin for a PlayStation emulator. The emulator in question is ePSXe, which is 32-bit, so I have to compile the plugin as 32-bit on my 64-bit Kubuntu 14.10 system.

The plugin is the P.E.Op.S. Sound Plugin 1.9. The source code is found here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/peop...d%20SPU%201.9/

I want to compile it in ALSA mode, which is handled by a simple flag. Here's the make file:

Code:
    ##############################################################################
    # MAKEFILE FOR THE PEOPS OSS SPU... just run "make"

# 1. SETS (CCFLAGS3 is used)

# Set to TRUE to build the ALSA support
    USEALSA = FALSE
    # Set to TRUE to disable the thread library support - helpful for some Linux distros
    NOTHREADLIB = FALSE

CC = gcc
    CCFLAGS1 = -fPIC -c -Wall -m486 -O3
    CCFLAGS2 = -fPIC -c -Wall -m486 -O2 -ffast-math
    CCFLAGS3 = -fPIC -c -Wall -mpentium -O3 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer
    INCLUDE =
    LINK = gcc
    OBJ =   spu.o cfg.o dma.o freeze.o psemu.o registers.o zn.o
    LIB = -lc -lm -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/lib

ifeq ($(USEALSA), TRUE)
    	OBJ+= alsa.o
    	LIB+= -lasound
    	LINKFLAGS = -shared -Wl,-soname,libspuPeopsALSA.so -o libspuPeopsALSA.so.1.0.9
    	CCFLAGS3+= -DUSEALSA
    else
    	OBJ+= oss.o
    	LINKFLAGS = -shared -Wl,-soname,libspuPeopsOSS.so -o libspuPeopsOSS.so.1.0.9
    endif

ifeq ($(NOTHREADLIB), TRUE)
    	CCFLAGS3+= -DNOTHREADLIB
    else
    	LIB+= -lpthread
    endif

# 2. MAIN RULE

spuPeopsOSS :	$(OBJ)
    		$(LINK) $(LINKFLAGS) $(OBJ) $(LIB)

# 3. GENERAL RULES

%.o     : %.c
    	$(CC) $(CCFLAGS3) $(INCLUDE) $<

# 4. SPECIFIC RULES

spu.o  : spu.c stdafx.h externals.h cfg.h dsoundoss.h regs.h debug.h xa.c reverb.c adsr.c
    cfg.o  : cfg.c stdafx.h externals.h
    dma.o : dma.c stdafx.h externals.h
    freeze.o : freeze.c stdafx.h externals.h registers.h spu.h regs.h
    oss.o : oss.c stdafx.h externals.h
    alsa.o : alsa.h stdafx.h externals.h
    psemu.o : psemu.c stdafx.h externals.h regs.h dma.h
    registers.o : registers.c stdafx.h externals.h registers.h regs.h reverb.h
    zn.o : zn.c stdafx.h xa.h

.PHONY: clean spuPeopsOSS

clean:
    	rm -f *.o *.so
    So I set USEALSA to TRUE to set it to use ALSA. I have to remove -mpentium, because that's not recognized by GCC anymore, as best as I can tell. Running make with that set has GCC say it's unrecognized. If I change it to -m32 and run make, however, I get these errors:

Code:
    /usr/bin/ld: i386 architecture of input file `spu.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
    /usr/bin/ld: i386 architecture of input file `cfg.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
    /usr/bin/ld: i386 architecture of input file `dma.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
    /usr/bin/ld: i386 architecture of input file `freeze.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
    /usr/bin/ld: i386 architecture of input file `psemu.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
    /usr/bin/ld: i386 architecture of input file `registers.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
    /usr/bin/ld: i386 architecture of input file `zn.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
    /usr/bin/ld: i386 architecture of input file `alsa.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
    /usr/bin/ld: spu.o: file class ELFCLASS32 incompatible with ELFCLASS64
    /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: File in wrong format
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    Makefile:48: recipe for target 'spuPeopsOSS' failed
    make: *** [spuPeopsOSS] Error 1
    I don't know enough about compiling and whatnot to understand what the problem is. Can someone help me figure this out?
    Last edited by Zeikcied; April 16th, 2015 at 07:36 AM. Reason: better title

Beans

Re: Errors when compiling 32-bit emulator plugin on 64-bit system

Did you make previous 'make' attempts before adding the -m32 flag? if so, you could have 64-bit object (.o) files left over that make considers to be up-to-date and hence isn't attempting to rebuild - remove all .o files from the directory and try again

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    Did you make previous 'make' attempts before adding the -m32 flag? if so, you could have 64-bit object (.o) files left over that make considers to be up-to-date and hence isn't attempting to rebuild - remove all .o files from the directory and try again
    No, I'm starting with a fresh src directory each time I run make. So there shouldn't be any 64-bit .o files in there.

Beans

I think you probably need to add the -m32 flag to the link phase as well as the compile phase - either by modifying the LINKFLAGS or by changing the LINK variable itself e.g.

Code:
    LINK = gcc -m32

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    I think you probably need to add the -m32 flag to the link phase as well as the compile phase - either by modifying the LINKFLAGS or by changing the LINK variable itself e.g.

Code:
    LINK = gcc -m32
    Okay, I did what you suggested, and it got rid of those errors, but I have a new one.

Code:
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lasound
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    Makefile:48: recipe for target 'spuPeopsOSS' failed
    make: *** [spuPeopsOSS] Error 1