Thread: [Proposal] Standard Procedures to Follow Before Closing a Thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

[Proposal] Standard Procedures to Follow Before Closing a Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntu-Geek
    Well, we cannot fix it if they dont. Threads like this daily are not going to fix anything. I suggest if someone has a vaild proposal post it in the res center with the tag [proposal] and we will look at it and discuss with the CC when we finish working out the proposal we currently have going for the goverance of this forum.

Any proposal **NEEDS** to be detailed. A one liner will not cut it.
    This is not a one-liner, and it's the third time I'm posting it:
    Quote Originally Posted by My Proposal
    I would propose that there be a standard procedure for threads that get out of hand, and that if special circumstances call for a deviation from the standard procedure, then the moderators discuss what would be the best course of action.

If a thread gets out of hand...

1. Send private messages to the offending parties asking them to cool it.
    2. If the messages aren't heeded, cut the offending posts out of the thread and move those posts to the Jail or the Backyard
    3. If the thread isn't as volatile but still seems too heated for the Cafe, move the entire thread to the Backyard
    4. If the thread is redundant, merge it with the other similar thread
    5. If the bulk of the thread (not just two forum members arguing back and forth and flaming one another--but several forum members generally kicking up ill will) is counterproductive, put in a public warning to have people cool it. Afterwards, close the thread if the warning isn't heeded.

Note, in my proposal, it takes a very extreme situation to close a thread. No one has to adopt this, but it is a proposal, and I'm putting it out there.
    A "standard procedure" doesn't mean in all instances it would be followed to the letter, but it does mean that in most situations all moderators would handle threads in the same manner. Any deviation from said procedure would have to be discussed among the moderators themselves.

This is what I propose. Make of it what you will.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: [Proposal] Standard Procedures to Follow Before Closing a Thread

Apparently, I can't edit my last message, so I'm appending another message in this thread:

Since Ubuntu-Geek asked for proposals to be posted in the resolution center, I'm putting it here, but I would like to have others participate in this discussion, even if it appears to violate one of the rules of the resolution (being that this discussion would have to be between me and the administration only).

Beans

We will compile a page with all the concerns from people's proposals and when the time comes we will have a open discussion on it. Until then we are just accepting proposals. Its easier to maintain if each person submits a more detailed proposal and why it will improve the forums.
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sounds good.

By the way, I realize that a lot of the time, what I'm proposing does happen, but I don't believe it is a standard procedure that all moderators are trained on. Some moderators tend to be a bit more trigger-happy with closings than others. The idea is that it would be a standard, not a haphazard procedure.

Beans

Understood, it should also be noted we added 12 new staff members last month. It takes time to get people trained and up to speed and when we add 12 more during the next couple months the same should be expected.
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!