Thread: How to migrate a video collection from Windows (Picasa) to Linux (Shotwell?)

Beans

How to migrate a video collection from Windows (Picasa) to Linux (Shotwell?)

Hallo,
    I have been using the desktop Picasa application for many years, but since it was discontinued by Google and Windows is drifting more and more away from my preferences, I have decided to move to Linux. In principle I would like to use Shotwell, or a similar Linux based program.
    What I need now is to export my collection of short videos in a format that includes all the hundreds of tags I have thoroughly and painfully added (names, places, themes...) and hopefully also the Picasa "star" marks.
    After doing some online search, I see this is no trivial question, because it seems there is no industry standard for this, such as the IPTC for image files.
    Most of my approx. 1500 videos are .mp4, .mov, .3gp and .mpg.
    Any suggestion would be really appreciated!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to migrate a video collection from Windows (Picasa) to Linux (Shotwell?)

i suppose that collection is stored inside a windows folder; then copy/paste to a support (usb stick is the friendlyest), then drop that list inside a /home folder (ubuntu)
    or from an ubuntu session, use nautilus to mount the windows folder, then copy/paste as above, then unmount the windows one.

Beans

Re: How to migrate a video collection from Windows (Picasa) to Linux (Shotwell?)

Thank you 9d9!
    That part of the migration is fine, I can even import the relevant folders directly from the Shotwell interface, by reading into the Windows partition.
    The problem here is to import those videos WITH their tags... Since those are stored in an external database of Picasa, they are not imported by Shotwell, so I need another trick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think that isn't doable due to the proprietary format Picasa uses. You'd need 'Picasa for Linux' and that doesn't exist...
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Last time I investigated, picasa worked very well with wine.

Does picasa still exist for windows or has it totally gone, as you seem to suggest?

OK, a quick look shows it is still around http://picasa.en.softonic.com/ though no longer directly from Google, by the looks of it.