Thread: Google Chrome--I can't use Java for FreeChess.org; tar zxvf jre-8u40-linux-i586.tar.

Beans

Google Chrome--I can't use Java for FreeChess.org; tar zxvf jre-8u40-linux-i586.tar.

Ihave tried to make the Jin applet for FreeChess.org work with Chrome
    (
    Google Chrome 41.0.2272.118 (Official Build); JavaScript V8 4.1.0.27);I am able to use the applet both in Opera and Firefox. I downloaded the i386 version, created a /usr/java/ directory and thenpasted the file there and ran: "sudo tar zxvfjre-8u40-linux-i586.tar.gz", like I found on: www.java.com/en/download/help/linux_install.xml I alsocreated a symbolic link with the command: "sudo ln -s/usr/java/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so" However, I restartedChrome and the applet still did not load--I tried removing the JDK and IcedTea, versions 7 and 6, programs from the Software Center. I re-added them after seeing that they were not the problem.

Here is a list of the commands I entered:

sudo mkdir /usr/java/
    cd /usr/java
    sudo tar zxvf jre-8u40-linux-i586.tar.gz
    cd /opt/google/chrome/plugins
    sudo ln -s /usr/java/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so

While doing this process, I did not receive any errors to report.
    I have Precise Pangolin.
    Is there any advice? I use Chrome the most and was wanting to play through it, instead of opening Firefox or Opera just to play chess on the Internet.

Thanks,
    Anthony

Last edited by SciGuy1872; April 13th, 2015 at 07:54 PM. Reason: font size, Ubuntu version