Thread: Email on hard drive errors

Beans

Email on hard drive errors

I have an Ubuntu server VM which occasionally has problems with its main partition disconnecting, possibly due to our VM backup software.

While I wait for the VM admin to deal with the underlying problem, I'd really like to be alerted when this happens. The drive is set to remount read-only when it detects errors, but I'd also like it to email me at the same time. Is there a simple, clean way to accomplish this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Email on hard drive errors

For bare metal, smartmontools will automatically send an email for a failing disk. Not sure how well it works under a VM.

tgalati4@Mint17 /etc/smartmontools/run.d $ cat 10mail
    #!/bin/bash -e

# Send mail if /usr/bin/mail exists
    if ! [ -x /usr/bin/mail ]; then
    echo "Your system does not have /usr/bin/mail. Install the mailx or mailutils package"
    exit 1
    fi

input=$1
    shift

/usr/bin/mail "$@" < $input
    Mount errors get written to /var/log/syslog, so perhaps a script that scans for the remount every 5 minutes?

Grep your syslog for an appropriate and specific error that you are looking for. I don't have any mount failures but I do have some smartd errors:

tgalati4@Mint17 ~ $ grep smartd /var/log/syslog
    Apr 6 07:16:30 Mint17 smartd[1369]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], 10 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
    Apr 6 07:16:30 Mint17 smartd[1369]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], SMART Usage Attribute: 190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel changed from 67 to 60
    Apr 6 08:40:26 Mint17 smartd[1369]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], 10 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
    Apr 6 08:40:26 Mint17 smartd[1369]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], SMART Usage Attribute: 187 Reported_Uncorrect changed from 253 to 100
    Apr 6 08:40:26 Mint17 smartd[1369]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], SMART Usage Attribute: 188 Command_Timeout changed from 253 to 100
    Apr 6 08:40:26 Mint17 smartd[1369]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], SMART Usage Attribute: 190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel changed from 60 to 63
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Yeah, I was trying to avoid the "grep syslog" route, seems like this is a problem that should have an elegant solution out there already (I can't be the first admin to want to get alerted to disk failures).

I'll check into smartmontools.

Beans

Well, no such luck. SMART doesn't work on VMware guests, which I guess makes sense since it's a hardware-monitoring thing and this is emulated hardware.

There's got to be a better way to do this than grepping syslog every X minutes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I didn't think so. Anyway, you would need some sort of daemon or script running continuously to detect such a failure. So you can check every 5 minutes:

Code:
    cat /proc/mounts
    or grep it for your particular drive. If the drive is missing, then send a notification.

You can (again every 5 minutes) try an automatic mount:

Code:
    sudo mount -av
    And if nothing gets mounted then you are status quo.

tgalati4@Mint17 ~ $ sudo mount -va
    nothing was mounted
    If you get errors mounting a partition, then it will show up and you can send a notification.

I think the reason such a framework is not available is because linux expects perfect hardware (and software), so losing a mount is a rare instance, unless you have a specific hardware or software problem. Losing a wireless network connection is a frequent event, so there are frameworks that try to re-establish the wireless network connection automatically.

What is the host OS?

Beans

The host OS is vmware ESX.

My thinking is that there is already an event which is being responded to with an action (errors=remount-ro). What I'd really like is a way to hook into that action directly and add another action. Maybe that's not possible.

I do have a nagios setup that I stumbled through a few months ago, but it only pings right now. I guess I need to figure out how to make SNMP work with it so I can monitor these things properly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There are lots of polling monitors available, but they consume a lot of CPU cycles and generally do just what I am suggesting. Perhaps there is a dbus command that can be executed when a mount fails. That one you will have to research.

Code:
    man dbus
    Some scripts to play with in the meantime:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...e-linux-server

http://www.linux.org/threads/looking...-writable.484/

I learned of the mountpoint command: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9...nted-with-bash
    Last edited by tgalati4; April 7th, 2015 at 12:32 AM.