Thread: ubuntu gnome installation and boot failed

Beans

ubuntu gnome installation and boot failed

I installed a beta (daily) 29. march. Installation worked and I had ubuntu-gnome running. Today 2.april there were some updates (don't know if my problem related to the updates) after a reboot I can't get into ubuntu-gnome. Grub is coming up (I've a dual install with windows) and if I choose ubuntu I see the gnome foot and 3 blinking dots or only a grey screen. Thats all. I used 64bit efi install before. So I tried the old iso-dvd of my successful install some days before for making a fresh install. Only came to the foot with 3 dots. Downloaded and burnt a new iso of today, same result: foot and 3 dots. I've no idea what to do. Anyone experienced the same or similar problem?
    Edit: I can't get in a live session with none of the two isos only get foot...

The isos were properly burned. Checked it. Grub seems to be ok at least I can boot to windows.

64bit efi intel i7 8GB RAM
    Last edited by orj-gmail; April 2nd, 2015 at 11:15 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ubuntu gnome installation and boot failed

Have you tried starting with:

Code:
    nomodeset
    enabled?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post

Code:
    nomodeset
    enabled?
    No, how I do it? It Is an option to choose when I try to make an install from the dvd-iso?

edit: found some information and did the following: when the dvd boots there is a grub-ui, in the install-option I pressed e, looked for a line linux/boot.....quiet splash. After quiet splash I inserted no nomodeset with a space between quiet splash and nomodeset. Rebooted but the only effect was that the foot and blinking dots were bigger, nothing more happened.
    Did the same thing for my installed, inaccessible ubuntu-gnome -> grey screen. What now? I don't know if it matters, I've an ATI-graphic-card.

edit I wanted to exclude a hardware problem, so I downloaded a fedora-alpha-3-iso and I could boot to live-session. It seems to be something wrong with the ubuntu-gnome-iso, but it seems no other users&testers have this problem. Rare.
    Last edited by orj-gmail; April 2nd, 2015 at 11:14 PM. Reason: edit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Press any key while iso is booting , choose English then , F6 key then a menu will appear at the bottom and choose <nomodeset>

or

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post10069997

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post

Code:
    nomodeset
    enabled?
    @cariboo907

The current method used: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...0#post13145410

will create a workable image on a USB flash disk, however, after using the <depress spacebar> method of evoking the alternate options page which include the menu to set <nomodeset> it will all work well until you attempt to shut down or restart the PC. It will present the option to <remove usb and press enter to continue> but it will not shut down. Once manually shutdown it will then not recognize the installable USB disk in BIOS. This is serious bug .. at least for those who try to use nomodeset during pre-install process.

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I use either Disks or dd to create a usb boot device depending on which sock I put on first, that particular day. I haven't needed nomodeset for several release, but when my Asus GT-750 graphics card went defective that was the only way I could boot into live media.

Beans
    Distro

I just (5 minutes ago, 20:20 EDT) installed today's daily UG from a USB stick burned with unetbootin. Worked perfectly...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Nomodeset is only needed if the included graphics drivers won't work with your video card, so depending on a users setup, some installs will work without problems, while others will be nothing but problems. I have two installs on fairly new hardware, both are uefi systems, although I went with legacy mode on my desktop. When I first got it last year, it was just the normal boring install, but as time went on and the graphics card slowly went defective installs became more problematic forcing me to use nomodeset to get a working installation. Replacing the graphics card with my old standby GeForce 210, has solved all the installation problems.

I installed Vivid on my notebook system in Secure boot mode, and because of it's Intel chipset, it was just another boring installation.

BTW I've got about two weeks to get the GT-750 replaced before the warranty runs out. I best get busy.
    Last edited by cariboo; April 3rd, 2015 at 01:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    I just (5 minutes ago, 20:20 EDT) installed today's daily UG from a USB stick burned with unetbootin. Worked perfectly...
    mkusb also will work. It does not destroy USB install image when trying to exit from <nomodeset> set system. The PC will still recognize the USB in BIOS and boot very effectually. Not so with disks or SDC.

Regards..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Press any key while iso is booting , choose English then , F6 key then a menu will appear at the bottom and choose <nomodeset>

or

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post10069997
    Thank you for the hint, problem solved, now ubuntu-gnome up and running again.