Thread: Image crop/re-size software recommendations?

Beans

Question Image crop/re-size software recommendations?

Hello guys
    I am looking for a software that re-size, or crop images for example if I want to use a specific wallpaper as a cover for my music files and that kind of stuff. Is there any?

Beans

Re: Image crop/re-size software recommendations?

Command line: Imagemagick (you probably have it already). I use imagemagick frequently for resizes and cropping and convering formats.

Graphical: Gimp, available in the Software Center.

Beans

If you're working with JPEG you can perform lossless cropping and rotation with jpegtran (looks like it's a part of the libjpeg-turbo-progs package).

Code:
    jpegtran -crop WxH+X+Y -optimize -perfect input.jpg > output.jpg
    See "man jpegtran" for more info.
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; April 1st, 2015 at 11:45 PM.

Beans

The graphics viewer gwenview that comes with Kubuntu provides cropping and resizing facilities as well. You don't need to run Kubuntu to use gwenview, just add it with "sudo apt-get install gwenview". It will bring in a bunch of "dependencies," libraries it needs that come with KDE installations.

Otherwise you can use GIMP, but that might be more complex than you need. To resize, crop, and rotate images, look in the Image menu. To select an area, hit Ctrl-B to bring up the ToolBox and choose the rectangular selection tool at the top left of the toolbox.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users