Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5g not showing up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

5g not showing up

My hard drive recently died and, when the new HD was put in and Ubuntu 14.04 and Windows 8 were reinstalled, I was no longer able to see the 5g from my wireless in either OS. I know the router is not the issue, though, because I can still connect to 5g on both my Mac and my Android without any problem. What could be going on? Could it be a wireless card driver issue? My machine is a Dell Inspiron 3520, and the router is a Netgear WNDR3400v3. I've never had a problem before and I've had this computer and these OS's for a couple of years now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: 5g not showing up

What exactly is this 5g that you can not see?

I don't understand your problem at the moment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    What exactly is this 5g that you can not see?

I don't understand your problem at the moment.
    Just guessing here - 5ghz?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi
    Just a guess, but if it is affecting both the Windows and Linux partitions then it might be that what ever caused your HDD to die could have damaged the WiFi Nic.
    Or maybe if it is a onboard NIC it might be a BIOS setting that is missed.

Beans
    Distro

Or maybe you haven't installed the correct driver even in Windows. I would first confirm that by downloading and installing the recommended Dell driver (for Windows). Then reboot and test. Is it working now? If so, proceed to troubleshoot Linux.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro

In a closer look, unless you upgraded the original WiFi you shouldn't have 5GHz anyway...

http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/inspiron-15-3520/pd -> Dell Wireless card 802.11 b/g/n (2.4G), BT4.0+HS
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How would it have worked before if it wasn't supposed to be technically possible? The card is definitely supposed to get the 5 ghz band and did until my new drive was installed.

I guess it's possible that the network card got damaged when the hard drive got trashed, as rigged 00 said above? Or the driver just happens to have something wrong with it in both Windows and Linux.

I can't even use Windows very well right now because when I upgraded to 8.1 yet another problem developed--the windows are flashing on and off and I'm barely able to type anything. Not sure what's up with that, I guess maybe another driver issue.

Beans
    Distro

I just told what I found. Have you read the product's page? There's no mention of other cards (many notebook models from all vendors, under the same model reference, usually have optional components such as a discreet graphics, different panels and different WiFi cards but not yours, according to Dell).
    so... -Again-, unless you upgraded the original WiFi you shouldn't have 5GHz anyway... But there's no point in speculating.Please check which one you have simply by
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    and post the results.
    Or, even better, follow the instructions to download and run the wireless script and post the results.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Clearly I'm not speculating if I've had 5GHz before. What you googled was just a brief snippet about the card, not a full list of specs. I forget where, but I did actually find a fuller specification sheet that listed 5ghz capabilities. I also found a way to show the supported channels by running a command I found at http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...supports-5ghz:

iwlist wlan0 freq

Output was:

wlan0 26 channels in total; available frequencies :
    Channel 01 : 2.412 GHz
    Channel 02 : 2.417 GHz
    Channel 03 : 2.422 GHz
    Channel 04 : 2.427 GHz
    Channel 05 : 2.432 GHz
    Channel 06 : 2.437 GHz
    Channel 07 : 2.442 GHz
    Channel 08 : 2.447 GHz
    Channel 09 : 2.452 GHz
    Channel 10 : 2.457 GHz
    Channel 11 : 2.462 GHz
    Channel 12 : 2.467 GHz
    Channel 13 : 2.472 GHz
    Channel 14 : 2.484 GHz
    Channel 36 : 5.18 GHz
    Channel 38 : 5.19 GHz
    Channel 40 : 5.2 GHz
    Channel 42 : 5.21 GHz
    Channel 44 : 5.22 GHz
    Channel 46 : 5.23 GHz
    Channel 48 : 5.24 GHz
    Channel 149 : 5.745 GHz
    Channel 153 : 5.765 GHz
    Channel 157 : 5.785 GHz
    Channel 161 : 5.805 GHz
    Channel 165 : 5.825 GHz
    Current Frequency:2.442 GHz (Channel 7)

So, my wireless card should pick up whichever 5ghz frequency my router is sending out, which it did before and which my Mac still does. But for some reason it isn't showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladlenin5000 View Post
    I just told what I found. Have you read the product's page? There's no mention of other cards (many notebook models from all vendors, under the same model reference, usually have optional components such as a discreet graphics, different panels and different WiFi cards but not yours, according to Dell).
    so... -Again-, unless you upgraded the original WiFi you shouldn't have 5GHz anyway... But there's no point in speculating.Please check which one you have simply by
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    and post the results.
    Or, even better, follow the instructions to download and run the wireless script and post the results.

Beans
    Distro

Nice, but where are the results of
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    ???

(EDIT)

Oops... Deja vu -> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2027925
    I hope you honor us with your reply this time around.
    Last edited by Vladlenin5000; April 7th, 2015 at 08:35 PM.
    Galiza Nação!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast