Thread: Internal Server Error 500 upon activation of a WordPress plugin

Beans

Question Internal Server Error 500 upon activation of a WordPress plugin

Hello,

I have an Ubuntu 14.04 server where a WordPress website generates an Internal Error 500 every time I activate the BuddyPress plugin. This is the actual error:

Code:
    [Sat Mar 28 19:12:28.102868 2015] [fastcgi:error] [pid 10447] (104)Connection reset by peer: [client 192.168.1.1:55431] FastCGI: comm with server "/var/www/clients/client1/web4/cgi-bin/php5-fcgi-*-80-site.eu" aborted: read failed, referer: http://site.eu/wp-admin/update.php?action=install-plugin&plugin=buddypress&_wpnonce=54e15a2310

[Sat Mar 28 19:12:28.103055 2015] [fastcgi:error] [pid 10447] [client 192.168.1.1:55431] FastCGI: incomplete headers (0 bytes) received from server "/var/www/clients/client1/web4/cgi-bin/php5-fcgi-*-80-site.eu", referer: http://site.eu/wp-admin/update.php?action=install-plugin&plugin=buddypress&_wpnonce=54e15a2310

The strange thing is that before, when the server was running Ubuntu 12, I had no troubles activating and using BuddyPress. Then something possessed me and I decided to upgrade the OS to 14.04 and as a result the site became inaccessible. Finally, I figured that it was BuddyPress that was causing the issue, removed it from the plugins folder and the site went back to working. Now every time I try to re-add BP, I get the error above.

Could you help me find out what's causing this and how to get everything back to normal?

Thank you!

Beans

Re: Internal Server Error 500 upon activation of a WordPress plugin

I'd be suspicious of this line:
    Code:
    FastCGI: comm with server "/var/www/clients/client1/web4/cgi-bin/php5-fcgi-*-80-site.eu" aborted:
    The asterisk works at the command line, but it doesn't seem correct in this instance.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Re: Internal Server Error 500 upon activation of a WordPress plugin

To be honest, I'm suspicious of everything because I'm quite new to the Ubuntu arena. In other words, I don't really know how to troubleshoot this issue. Any and all help is appreciated greatly.