Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdated Update Information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Outdated Update Information

Hello, I get a red triangle in the systems tray after the computer has been run for some time claiming my update information is outdated. Can this be removed at all? It is an old Belnea notebook that originally ran Vista.

Thanks, Dave.

updates.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Outdated Update Information

What happens when you run Software Updater?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    What happens when you run Software Updater?
    Thanks for your reply. First it informs me that it has failed to download repository information, then when I click 'OK' it goes ahead and updates if there are any.

Dave

fail.jpg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Please post error output (and only error output) from:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Generally, running the command line app will give you error info that the graphical app won't. If no errors, then:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    ...and post any error output from that.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Please post error output (and only error output) from:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Generally, running the command line app will give you error info that the graphical app won't. If no errors, then:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    ...and post any error output from that.
    Erm ... OK, I'm not good with the terminal, could you tell me exactly how to get the error output. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

You should be able to copy/paste text from terminal into a post here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You have repositories that are no longer accessible. As you have found out Update Manager can deal with this and continue the Update. But we get the warning message. Have you enabled any repositories such as Personal Package Archives (PPA)?

Yes you have. Disable each of those repositories in turn until you find the one that is causing the warning. The others might be OK.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Daveski17 View Post
    Erm ... OK, I'm not good with the terminal, could you tell me exactly how to get the error output. Thanks.
    When you bring up a terminal, just copy and paste my commands into the terminal using a right click of your mouse. When you execute the command, it will ask you for your password. Password entry provides no feedback, no ******* placeholders, but it is accepting your entry anyway. After hitting the enter button, a whole set of responses will scroll upward. This is the info that is hidden from you in the graphical app. You are looking for lines that have "WARNING" or "ERROR" in them. You can drag your mouse across the whole mess within the terminal app, right click to copy and then right click again to paste into the response box of this thread.

**Edit**
    GrahamMechanical has already Ninja'd the issue. You indeed have a whole bunch of PPAs that are likely causing the problem. If I were you, I would get rid of every one of them and not add any back in until I was more familiar with how Ubuntu works and the security holes that PPAs bring with them.
    Last edited by DuckHook; March 27th, 2015 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Instructions superseded

Beans
    Distro

OK, thanks DuckHook. IIRC I think I tried to update Pinta at some stage. I'm still a noob with Ubuntu and I often experiment on this old Belnea notebook. I have a new Lenovo preinstalled with Ubuntu that I deliberately don't mess with due to the fact that I'm not sure what I'm doing. They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing lol.

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    You have repositories that are no longer accessible. As you have found out Update Manager can deal with this and continue the Update. But we get the warning message. Have you enabled any repositories such as Personal Package Archives (PPA)?

Yes you have. Disable each of those repositories in turn until you find the one that is causing the warning. The others might be OK.

Regards.
    Thanks, I'm pretty sure it is the Pinta PPA that's causing this. I'll experiment disabling it.
    Last edited by howefield; March 27th, 2015 at 01:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Daveski17 View Post
    OK, thanks DuckHook. IIRC I think I tried to update Pinta at some stage. I'm still a noob with Ubuntu and I often experiment on this old Belnea notebook. I have a new Lenovo preinstalled with Ubuntu that I deliberately don't mess with due to the fact that I'm not sure what I'm doing. They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing lol.
    Ahh. So it's your play box. If so, feel free to go nuts. No better way to learn than to break and fix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast