Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: choppy performance after Ubuntu 12.04 reinstallation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: choppy performance after Ubuntu 12.04 reinstallation

Unfortunately I'm not an expert on AMD graphics. Except for a 2014 low-cost HP notebook with AMD APU (equivalent to R2 graphics) where I installed the recommended drivers and everything works fine, my last experience with AMD graphics was in the time they were still called ATI (circa 2005).

Nevertheless, I have a question: Is there some reason why you kept the 12.04? The machine is new enough to perhaps work better with newer releases. 14.04 is also LTS.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I love 14.04, but there is one critical problem: It causes my touchpad to send the pointer around too quickly. It was not fixable with the Mouse and Touchpad settings, nor with the Pointing Devices app from the Software Center, nor with xinput. Right now I'm logged into 14.04 again (I left both installed with separate root partitions) to see if there might be a different driver for my touchpad-keyboard. Apparently there are no other drivers available for me.

Right now I'm downloading Kubuntu, to try out its installation disk. I could also try Gnome and Mint. If nothing works, I'll just reinstall 12.04 again and try to live with the jumpiness.
    - Ubuntu 16.04 on 2016 System76 desktop + Ubuntu 18.04 on 2016 Dell Latitude laptop -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

In summary: It seems to have been a problem with the driver for my 25" HP LP2475w monitor: The newer, "preferred" driver causes jumpiness and delayed text entry, instead of making the Unity interface go invisible at random moments.

I did end up having to reinstall, because by installing amdccle, I apparently was deleting the newer driver, and amdccle won't run on my system any more anyway.
    - Ubuntu 16.04 on 2016 System76 desktop + Ubuntu 18.04 on 2016 Dell Latitude laptop -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12