Thread: Disable graphcal mcrypt password entry screen

Beans

Disable graphcal mcrypt password entry screen

On my Ubuntu install, I use full disk encryption through mcrypt. On boot, I am presented with a screen to type my decryption password to continue booting. On my system, the graphical screen does not allow me to enter my password. When I reboot it switches to a console-based version and all is fine. is there a way to permanently change this password screen to the console version?

ubuntu_mcrypt_example.jpg
    Last edited by papibe; March 15th, 2015 at 03:33 AM. Reason: big pic changed to thumb link to pic

Beans

Re: Disable graphcal mcrypt password entry screen

belecjm,

If you just type in your password and hit enter does it go through? I don't have mine encrypted so I can't test but it could be just not displaying characters as you type.
    Ubuntu 14.04 Server
    -Linode 1GB
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Laptop
    -Toshiba Satellite A505-6005, Intel i3, 4.00 GB ram

Beans

No, graphical password entry does not work at all. This is inside a virtualbox vm btw. I just want it to behave like ubuntu server, where graphical password entry is disabled and it falls back to a console based prompt.

Beans

I found a temporary workaround. I set GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="" in /etc/default/grub. The downside is I don't get the pretty graphical boot screen or the text based purple boot screen.