Thread: Locked / Closed Threads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Locked / Closed Threads

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 with OS X 10.10.2, Ubuntu 14.10 & Windows 8.1 installed.

Now that the basics are out of the way, I have to ask... Why are all the threads in this section locked?
    Last edited by crjackson; March 15th, 2015 at 10:11 PM.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, Sapphire RX580
    Optical -- Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SM 970 Pro NVMe/HighPoint 7101A/10.14.5
    SonnetAllegro Pro USB 3/ 4TB WD/4TB - Barracuda

Beans

Re: Locked / Closed Threads

there probably old

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread moved to Forum Feedback & Help.

Post came from OSX sub-forum...

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    there probably old
    +1 threads older than x years are automatically locked (and if memory served x = 1)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    Now that the basics are out of the way, I have to ask... Why are all the threads i. This section locked?
    Threads are auto-locked after 1 year's inactivity to prevent necromancy. So - if you were trying to add a post to an old thread, please don't. You are more likely to get the help you need by starting your own fresh thread.

Edit: Just noticed this:

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    Thread moved to Forum Feedback & Help.

Post came from OSX sub-forum...
    You posted this in the Mac OSX sub-forum. Another suggestion for using the forum properly: read the forum header. It helps to ensure that you post in the right place.

Forum: Mac OSX

Support for Apple's OSX operating system.
    That sub-forum does have mostly locked threads and that is because the locked threads all date from 2009 or before. And that is because the Mac OSX sub-forum was archived for several years. As a 10th birthday present for forum members we brought a number of Other OS sub-forums out of retirement last year into the revamped Other OS section. That is why you can see many ancient locked threads. Please tell me you weren't trying to post to a 6+ years' old thread!

But your post suggests you need to be using the Apple Hardware Users sub-forum. You have to go back no fewer than 23 pages in the Apple Hardware Users forum to get to the locked ones. Forum header:

Forum: Apple Hardware Users

Support for users who are using Apple Intel or PPC based systems with Ubuntu.
    Last edited by coffeecat; March 14th, 2015 at 09:46 AM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks Coffeecat,

I didn't post to an old thread. I created the thread so it was new, but I apparently posted to the wrong sub-forum. Since I was inquiring about THAT Particular Sub-Forum, I thought that would be an appropriate place to ask the question.

I've been a member/contributor here for many years but switched to Apple Hardware w/OS X and Ubuntu. The particular thread I was looking at that had been closed was posted only a few days ago. At least when I glanced at it, the date seemed to indicate same. Perhaps I need to get glasses, I'll have another look.

You posted this in the Mac OSX sub-forum. Another suggestion for using the forum properly: read the forum header. It helps to ensure that you post in the right place.
    I did read the forum header. I was interested in the content of the Mac OS X section (since that's what I use primarily) but noticed that most of the threads were closed, so I posted the question there, which was apparently the wrong place. I must have looked and comprehended the date incorrectly. There looked to be recent threads that were closed too. No doubt I was mistaken. I still don't understand why an OS X/Ubuntu question wouldn't go there but I'll take your word on it and not ask anything there anymore.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, Sapphire RX580
    Optical -- Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SM 970 Pro NVMe/HighPoint 7101A/10.14.5
    SonnetAllegro Pro USB 3/ 4TB WD/4TB - Barracuda