Thread: vsFTPd Help

Beans

vsFTPd Help

Hello,

I saw a thread on Easy FTP with vsftpd. I made a thread HERE a few days ago on Raspberry Pi forums cause this is what I'm running this on. It was a continuation of what I've been setting up so you can see what I've done so far on that thread.

I also saw this thread HERE about vsftpd solution for some small health company. Thought I should post it cause some where saying that vsftpd is unsecure now it seemed like. It posted 4 weeks ago.

Anyways,
    I'm trying to FTP into the directory where my Apache is getting the files from off my USB. But I'm getting the error below.
    Code:
    500 OOPS: vsftpd: refusing to run with writable root inside chroot()
    when I try to log in to it.
    Also I never specified any users or anything or like that. Which I saw some one else doing. I'm just using the Pi user.

Is there a way so you can allow to write files to the root? Also technically I'm not writing files to the folder im specifying which is
    /media/external/var
    but the files are being written to the www folder. So no changes would ever be written to the var folder.
    /media/external/var/www

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: vsFTPd Help

Quote Originally Posted by ThePie View Post
    Hello,

I saw a thread on Easy FTP with vsftpd. I made a thread HERE a few days ago on Raspberry Pi forums cause this is what I'm running this on. It was a continuation of what I've been setting up so you can see what I've done so far on that thread.

I also saw this thread HERE about vsftpd solution for some small health company. Thought I should post it cause some where saying that vsftpd is unsecure now it seemed like. It posted 4 weeks ago.

Anyways,
    I'm trying to FTP into the directory where my Apache is getting the files from off my USB. But I'm getting the error below.
    Code:
    500 OOPS: vsftpd: refusing to run with writable root inside chroot()
    when I try to log in to it.
    Also I never specified any users or anything or like that. Which I saw some one else doing. I'm just using the Pi user.

Is there a way so you can allow to write files to the root? Also technically I'm not writing files to the folder im specifying which is
    /media/external/var
    but the files are being written to the www folder. So no changes would ever be written to the var folder.
    /media/external/var/www

Thanks in advance.
    https://www.benscobie.com/fixing-500...inside-chroot/
    Ubuntu 14.04 Server
    -Linode 1GB
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Laptop
    -Toshiba Satellite A505-6005, Intel i3, 4.00 GB ram