Thread: Installing Ubuntu or any form of Linux

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Installing Ubuntu or any form of Linux

Hello everyone, I have a older PC running Windows xp and I would love to install some kind of Linux os on it.

Problem is every time I put the Linux CD in my machine noting happens

Its like the computer cannot read the disk. But if I place let's say a software program in the drive it loads OK. I tried going into the bios and setting it up to boot from the Linux CD but noting works. Thanks for any help with this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: installing Ubuntu or any from of linux

Hello and Welcome

You may have to enter the bios at boot to allow the optical/DVD drive to be used as a boot device. The key or key binding can vary on different computers and my desktop displays the key/s used briefly in the mother board splash screen.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

And how would I enter the bios and get it to boot from the optical DVD drive? I mean I know how to edit the bios just don't know where to look for this option.

Thanks so much
    Last edited by RobGoss; March 10th, 2015 at 08:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

older pc? please provide specs, especially on the processor and graphics card model (if any). Maybe hardware compatibility problems

As for the DVD, what program did you use to burn the Ubuntu .iso file? Are you certain that you burn it as an "image" file? As for confirmation that the CD is indeed bootable, have you successfully booted other computers using that CD?

Also, another option if you computer can boot from USB, you can also burn the iso to a USB drive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hello yes I use the same CD on a few other machines and the install went smoothly. As for the specs I would have to see what they are it has more then enough ram and hard drive space.

Ifrarecorder is one program I used to burn the iOS and I have a few other programs I use as well. And i also tryed to boot ubuntu also from a USB drive. also.

Thank you
    Last edited by RobGoss; March 10th, 2015 at 07:54 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm glad to know that your CD disk works in other computers.

I'll repeat what nerdtron asked: Please specify your computer

- Brand name and model
    - CPU
    - RAM (size)
    - graphics chip/card
    - wifi chip/card

otherwise we can only guess what is the problem, for example that you should try Lubuntu instead of Ubuntu.

Beans

Most computers will show a message at the bottom of the screen immediately upon start, if you have a manufacturers logo that should be the screen. The message usually tell you to hit a specific key to "Enter Setup". When you do that you should see a boot tab and you use the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight it and check the options. The key varies with manufacturer.