Thread: GPU that will work with PCIe 1.1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

GPU that will work with PCIe 1.1

the AMD R series are not backwards compatible due to the way they made them to use less power and i can't find any AMD Radeon HD 4xxx series at good price localy. so i had a look at a couple of options at nvidia camp. i need it for some light gaming.
    Geforce RAM BRAND:

GT 630 1 GB (no fan) ZOTAC - 50 EUR -stated on website it is compatible with PCIe 1.1
    GT 720 1 GB with fan Gainward - 50 EUR, PCIe 2.0, not sure if it's compatible or not
    GT 630 2 GB with fan Palit - 61 EUR - PCIe 2.0 again not sure if it's compatible with 1.1 or not
    GT 730 2 GB with fan Palit - 63 EUR - PCIe 2.0 but not sure if it will work on 1.1 or not.

What would you take? i mean i would take GT 730, but i am not sure if it will work on that old motherboard. the motherboward website only has specifically stated support for radeon 3xxx and 4xxx series with BIOS upgrade (and bios is already at latest). I know that R series do not work.

i need something for some light gaming and that would also not be too power hungry. I think the PSU is 400 W or is it 420 W?! at the moment the ATI card is OK for you tube but for the rest it has issues for the most part. looks like the FOSS drivers are not good.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: need a GPU that will work with PCIe 1.1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: need a GPU that will work with PCIe 1.1

i read those as well and since i can't get any Picture with what i have i need to get an 2.0 card. it seems best would then be to go with GT 730 2 GB with fan Palit - 63 EUR.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: GPU that will work with PCIe 1.1

well got the advice from manufacturer to take the GT 730 with 64 bit memory. I am guessing this means the 2 GB GT 730, since according to NVidia spec page that one has the 64 bit memory.

i see these NVidia cards usually take up two slots. will it then fit into the box? I am guessing the drivers support is good in Linux for these cards or would it be better to take what seems to be an older model (the GT 630)?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i see these NVidia cards usually take up two slots. will it then fit into the box? I am guessing the drivers support is good in Linux for these cards or would it be better to take what seems to be an older model (the GT 630)?
    You can see why they take up to 2 slots. This is an end-on view of the GT730 fanless; I'm guessing the fan model would have an even deeper heatsink still... In my (admittedly) limited experience, the fanless models heatsinks seem to be longer, but shallower; whereas the fan model's heatsinks appear to be shorter, yet deeper.

Asus GT730.jpg

Or maybe not. I tried fitting a GT210 fanless into my old Compaq's single PCIe slot (before I found out it was even older than yours; the 1.0a standard), and the problem I had was that the heatsink was sitting tight against the end of a few of the caps. Not too clever, really....!

Regards,

Mike.
    Last edited by Mike_Walsh; March 11th, 2015 at 06:14 PM.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

yeah that's what worries me. this one has a PCI slot on that side. I think I will call the shop and tell them that I will switch to a fanless if this one doesn't fit. since they do not have any dimensions stated and I can not know for sure if it will fit & work. ofcourse I might want to try it in the other PC first before returning it. the more I am checking the more it seems like these cards are not that bad.

there is a video of a guy running Battlefield 3 maxed out on NVidia 630 3Gb (though with an i5 CPU). I also found a video with maxed out left 4 dead on one of these cards. all in all more than I need. but since the price seem to be more or less the same I will pay 2 or 3 eur more for a better one.