Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I overwrote my RAID5, is it possible to get my data back?

Beans

I overwrote my RAID5, is it possible to get my data back?

I'm trying to fsck a 5 x 3tb raid 5 array, lets just say there has been a few creates and wayward fsck's done all ready
    But currently I'm trying to run fsck on a configuration and it is using a very large amount of swap. I'm having to stop it after the first 6 hours and 1 million inodes as it has filled 400gigs of swap memory, however I can stop it and when I restart it, it will continue from where it left off, and seems to consume swap more slowly each time I do.

I've started using an overlay but I had all ready done the damage before doing so ;(

So I'm wondering if this is just a memory leak and more ram would help? (I currently have 8G) or if actually just needs that much swap?
    I don't have any backups of the data, and there was a fair bit of it on there before I took the bad advice of using create to re-add a failed drive without backing up the old configuration, so I guess I'm also wondering if the time its taking means it is finding and recovering my data or if something else is happening?

I'm using mdadm with an ext4 partition.
    Linux 3.13.0-45-generic #74-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 13 19:36:28 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    fsck from util-linux 2.20.1

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks Jonathon.
    Last edited by jonathon-2000-uk; March 9th, 2015 at 07:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: why is FSCK using massive amounts of swap?

Welcome to the forums.

It's possible that you are hitting some limits to what fsck can do on a large data volume. You can try using the -V switch to get verbose output and see what is happening. Keep your finger on the scroll-lock key so you can pause the output and write down some useful messages.

What RAID hardware are you using? Some RAID hardware have a BIOS troubleshooting mode that you can perform repairs depending on what failed.

If this was a ZFS pool that you were checking, you would need around 12 GB of RAM to scrub the pool. I would imagine that fsck needs a similar space to expand the inode tree during the check. That fact that you are using swap means you have run out of RAM. Can you put in 16 GB of RAM?

400 GB of swap seems excessive, considering only 8 GB of RAM, When swap exceeds 2X RAM, you need to rethink your workload.

Trying to rescue a RAID without a backup is risky.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Oh right yeah sorry, should have included a few more details.
    Its just software raid, mdadm, and its a ext4 partition.
    I can just about afford to buy another 8G ram, but of course am hesitant, as given the swap usage I wasn't sure if it was a bug or just due to the partition size, so don't know if it would solve or even help the issue.
    And I increased the swap to 500G to see how fsck would respond as it was exiting with "can't allocate memory."
    But theres are a lot of errors, seemingly for each inode, is there something other than that I should look out for?
    I'm also using a page file rather than a partition, I don't know if that makes any difference?
    Any insight into what this fsck behaviour means would be much aprecaited.

Thankyou Jonathon
    Last edited by jonathon-2000-uk; March 8th, 2015 at 12:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Normally in this situation, I would follow the recommendations from several tutorials:

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_Recovery

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Linux_Raid

Why are you performing an fsck on this RAID?

Beans

Long Story Short;
    I REALLY should have read that wiki first, but I did a create with the wrong configuration and am now trying to recover my data, as I have no backups of the original array configuration and the array was my data backup.
    So am trying to figure out what this fsck behaviour may be an indication of?

Thanks Jonathon

The Long Story;
    I had a failed drive that kept getting marked as spare when I tried to re-add it to the array. (Was just a failing cable in the end!) Then I took the bad advice of using mdadm create to try and re-add it without knowing and there being no mention of how important keeping the same settings are and with no backup of what they where.
    And alas I didn't come across that wiki until long after,
    “Recreating should be considered a *last* resort, only to be used when everything else fails. People getting this wrong is one of the primary reasons people lose data. It is very commonly used way too early in the fault finding process.”
    was unfortunately too late for me.
    But as I said, I have no backup for the data, which is why I'm having to keep trying to recover it.
    So I guess I'm wondering if this fsck behaviour is a sign that I've screwed things up long beyond repair?
    Originally I was just using the default settings with a sequential drive order, I know that sda was the first drive, as its the one that failed and I'm almost certain the next 2 are sequential as I originally made a 3 drive array, and would have put them sequentially, but the 4th an 5th may not have been, so I tried [abced] but both these times fsck would fail at the same point with failed to allocate memory errors.
    I made the array in January 2013 so I've tried creating the array with a 1meg data offset. With the drives in sequential order fsck completed, and there was a clean partition, but there was only 500meg of data when I had close to 7TB. So currently I'm trying [abced] with a 1meg data offset which is where I currently am.
    And I only set up the overlay at this point!
    None of the backup super blocks are accessible any more. And I've tried recreating the array with the current default data offset and the super block isn't accessible there at all any more?
    So I kept re-running fsck as it was moving a little further every time and I was hoping that it was just because of the amount of data I had. But once it reached 50mil inodes (seemed to be complaining solely about invalid extent nodes) it started exiting with illegal extent nodes and complaining about bad blocks. I tried the array with each disc missing in the array, so its not a failing disc.
    I created an overlay at this point so I could test mke2fs -S.
    But this means fsck is starting from the beginning again and using all that swap again.
    And I'm wondering if I've just completely screwed it all up by this point.
    As I said, I have no backups, as the raid was for backup (and yes I know taking advice on some forum before complete research was stupid, and currently its turning about to be a very costly reminder) so I guess I'm just trying to find out if there's any chance what so ever of recovering my data.
    What does this fsck behaviour likely mean? And if I have to move pass the bargaining stage of loosing all my stuff and move into the depression stage? >.<
    Cause naturally if its just a matter of time, and to just keep re-running it till completion, I will continue if it actually has a chance of recovering my data.

Thankyou Jonathon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It doesn't sound like fsck will recover your data. It was not designed as a robust RAID recovery tool, but simply checks for file consistency by going through each inode and following its block chain. Why it's consuming all of that RAM is a mystery, but probably because it has encountered errors and is traveling around the array looking for blocks and that takes a lot of time and RAM.

At this point, I would perform a non-destructive badblocks on each drive individually to see if one drive is physically failing. Mark that drive and then research what other options are available.

So, to the best of your knowledge, you reassembled the RAID5 with drives 4 and 5 reversed, and that perhaps messed up the striping on the drive. I'm pretty sure mdadm keeps the correct drive order by using UUID's for each drive. What was the very first error that you encountered?

The troubleshooting steps from the links above (and that is only 2 of several) require some data, so let's see what we can see. How about the RAID block status for each drive:

Code:
    mdadm --examine /dev/sdb1 >> raid.status
    Repeat for each drive. Then post.
    Last edited by tgalati4; March 9th, 2015 at 03:32 AM.

Beans

As I understand it, the drives superblock is overwritten when you do mdadm create, hence the predicament I'm in now, I used create rather than assemble
    And I didn't keep a backup of the old drive information because I'm an idiot and didn't realise it was important.

I re-created using the default settings and abcde, so it defaulted to 128 MiB Data Offset. And I believe fsck exitied with 'failed to allocate memory' error, as it did with abced order. I then read about the change in the default data offset and have set it to 1 MiB since, but still get 'failed to allocate memory' errors. Except with abcde, 1 MiB offset, where it failed to find all but a few megs of my data. It doesn't even find the superblock now if I re-create with the 128 MiB Data Offset?

Do you mean badblocks with the -n option? I've run it with just -v on 3 of the drives, checking the last 2 now, I've been hesitant to run it with n as this takes 2 days on a 3tb drive and is rather intensive.

And bear in mind I have moved the cables around now, so the root drive is now at sda and I swapped the cables around for what was sde and sdd, so they are now sde and sdf respectively.

I'm well aware I've got myself into a royal mess
    Thankyou Jonathon

Code:
    /dev/sdb1:

Magic : a92b4efc
             Version : 1.2
         Feature Map : 0x0
          Array UUID : e4e2814d:0c7f706e:29c3c664:170bb120
                Name : Theodore:0  (local to host Theodore)
       Creation Time : Sat Mar  7 18:37:29 2015
          Raid Level : raid5
        Raid Devices : 5

Avail Dev Size : 5860528128 (2794.52 GiB 3000.59 GB)
          Array Size : 11721056256 (11178.07 GiB 12002.36 GB)
         Data Offset : 2048 sectors
        Super Offset : 8 sectors
               State : clean
         Device UUID : 44e45eea:cb7a9c92:1f78f0bb:08805b3e

Update Time : Sat Mar  7 18:37:29 2015
            Checksum : 9b4f95ca - correct
              Events : 0

Layout : left-symmetric
          Chunk Size : 512K

Device Role : Active device 0
        Array State : AAAAA ('A' == active, '.' == missing)
     /dev/sdc1:

Device UUID : d9c721c2:0f42a9ec:3d5f07f7:da643ba0

Checksum : 6a160c95 - correct

Device Role : Active device 1
     /dev/sdd1:

Device UUID : d8cc3756:3591b451:27105c7d:183aeb17

Checksum : 613be6e1 - correct

Device Role : Active device 2
     /dev/sde1:

Device UUID : db67cb49:cd4cc26b:1c7feb9b:6a4b3506

Checksum : 7bb6bdc4 - correct

Device Role : Active device 3
     /dev/sdf1:

Device UUID : 1f34e7f9:953da644:9ff6a904:57c24e30

Checksum : 978e6941 - correct

Device Role : Active device 4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I missed the "create" in the previous post. So you have effectively created a new RAID5 array over your existing RAID5 array. That will generally destroy data in a profound way.

No, you normally don't need to use badblocks -n, just a simple badblocks run will demonstrate that the disk is spinning properly and that the read head can read the entire surface. I would only use the -n switch for isolating the problem of a specific drive that you suspect is having problems and you don't care about the data on the drive because you have a backup. It does take longer.

Back to your problem at hand. Your current RAID status looks OK, which is good, that means that you can at least use the RAID array again in the future. I guessed that it would be 12 TB with 15 TB of disks and that seems to be the case.

I would change the title of this thread to "I overwrote my RAID5, how do I get my data back?" the current title about fsck using excessive swap is really not the problem we are dealing with here.

It's possible that you will need to purchase a data forensics tool (for Windows) to recover data from this broken array.

http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/kb_raid5_article.htm

And

http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/FAQ_RAID_recovery.htm

Notice that I am now just going through the steps suggested here. Recreating an array over a damaged array causes more damage and makes recovery difficult. The fact that no one else has contributed to this thread is instructive.

It's possible that testdisk could reassemble the previous RAID5 and that would be the best possible outcome, but I have no experience using testdisk in this Use Case. Perhaps others have and can weigh in.

Regardless, spend some time reading:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

Prepare yourself to build another machine with at least 12 TB of disks to receive the data. How full was the array?

If you don't want to build a second machine, then you would need about 375 32GB USB sticks.
    Last edited by tgalati4; March 9th, 2015 at 04:08 PM.

Beans

Yeah I was just hoping the fsck behaviour was a clear indicator of something, with a simple answer, and that I hadn't messed things up as bad as I thought I had. And didn't want to start off the bat with the entire mess I've made.
    Obviously if I can't really afford an extra 8gb ram stick then I can't afford a second pc.
    But yes, I was hoping it might just be a fsck problem, so I'll rename the thread to make my problem clearer, I did think it all a long shot but without any other backup there’s not a lot else I can do?

Thanks Jonathon
    Last edited by jonathon-2000-uk; March 9th, 2015 at 07:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I overwrote my RAID5, can I get my data back?

Well, 3TB drives are around $150 each and you would need 4 of them to get 12TB to perform a straight reimage (JBOD) of the orginal dataset. That's $600. Otherwise your only recourse is to perform some read-only probes on your current array to see what you can see.

Try running testdisk on the current array and see what it says. Read up on it first. There are a few folks who have used it successfully on RAID5.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast