Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Google Chrome Web Browser

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Google Chrome Web Browser

This (https://code.google.com/p/chromium/i...tail?id=401655) says Chrome/Chromium for Linux is broken for kernel versions below 3.17.

(More here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...%28Phoronix%29. This also says work on patching earlier Ubuntu kernels is in progress.)
    Last edited by buzzingrobot; March 8th, 2015 at 04:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Barsoom88 View Post
    Tried installing and uninstalling chrome a few times but nothing soooo I reinstalled Ubuntu to have the software center experience an error and shut down when I tried to install chrome. I suppose this is why I'm looking for a distro with Chrome as the main browser.
    You can try Cubuntu. It's a French Linux distro that ships Ubuntu with the Cinnamon + MATE desktop environment as well as the Google Chrome browser as default.

http://www.cubuntu.fr/?q=node/5 (You need to selection this iso: 14-04-2-v183b-stable.iso which is the 14.04.02 LTS 64 bit.)

Though it is considered a 'distro', it is in fact nothing more than Ubuntu 14.04.2 64 bit with the Mate and Cinnamon DE installed. It comes bundled with the most popular apps, Chrome, VLC, Skype ect. It might suit your needs though, that is remaining on Ubuntu while getting Chrome out-of-the-box.

**Beware that you will need to install support for english language through the Synaptic Package Manager once the installation (in french) is completed. If you don't know how to do that, please request assistance in the Beginner Forum.
    Last edited by Tar_Ni; March 8th, 2015 at 09:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Can't figure why there would be any problem installing Google Chrome from their website....you just download the deb file in firefox, and when the little window comes up, you ask it to open in ubuntu software center...then software center open, shows chrome after about 30 seconds and you hit "install"...never, ever had a problem doing that...
    Then you just type chrome in dash, click it to open, and lock it to the unity launcher...It even puts the chrome ppa updater into your software updater sources, automatically...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    This (https://code.google.com/p/chromium/i...tail?id=401655) says Chrome/Chromium for Linux is broken for kernel versions below 3.17.

(More here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...%28Phoronix%29. This also says work on patching earlier Ubuntu kernels is in progress.)
    Code:
    05:02 AM ~ $ uname -a
    Linux vasa1-Inspiron-1545 3.13.0-46-generic #77-Ubuntu SMP Mon Mar 2 18:23:39 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    I have Version 41.0.2272.76 (64-bit). I'm not sure anything is broken.

Beans

Tar_Ni,
    I've check out the website you suggested my passable French should allow me to use the distro. I"ll download and use as a backup!

Beans

Update

UPDATE
    After searching Distrowatch the only two distros were: Simplicity and Android. Simplicity has Chrome as its primary browser BUT the install was too quirky for me to rely on: too bad because the layout was great....a more permanent type would have been perfect. Android was quirky from the beginning as it turned the screen sideways as in the form of a tablet not good for a laptop. Out of desperation I went to Mint and used the information provided by kc1di and it worked perfectly....so far.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Barsoom88 View Post
    Tar_Ni,
    I've check out the website you suggested my passable French should allow me to use the distro. I"ll download and use as a backup!
    Good but don't forget that you can switch to english language after the installation is completed. Just get the Synaptic Package Manager and install the english language support package.

EDIT: If Linux Mint works with Chrome than fine. But if you want to use Ubuntu (and easily switch between Unity, Cinnamon or MATE desktop environments) than give Cubuntu a shot.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by stalkingwolf View Post
    I have both Chrome and Chromium installed. As i recall they were both installed from symantic.

Many Colleges will tell students that they must use this or that. a specific O/S , Browser etc. if you push and dig a little deeper you will find the reason is that the particular app or O/S is all their onboard tech support knows how to support. I know this from experience with Colorado Tech. They told me I had to use windows and power point. I told them HMMMM well what i told them is not printable here.

other then a couple mic tweaks i had no problem using my setup.

When we moved in here I was told that the install tech had to have a windows machine to set up the internet. I said HMMMM and booted my wifes dual boot system. 6 mo . later when the same tech came to replace a bad router i didnt give it a thought. He sat down at her computer did what he had to and started to leave. As he went out the front door I said Oh By the way, you just did your first linux install. please do not tell customers that they MUST have windows.
    HMMMMM..... Nice one!

Regards,

Mike.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Code:
    05:02 AM ~ $ uname -a
    Linux vasa1-Inspiron-1545 3.13.0-46-generic #77-Ubuntu SMP Mon Mar 2 18:23:39 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    I have Version 41.0.2272.76 (64-bit). I'm not sure anything is broken.
    Have to agree with you on that point, vasa. Exactly the same set-up here; works flawlessly.

I'm not too sure where SOME 'techs' and/or 'devs' get their information from.....

Regards,

Mike.
    Last edited by Mike_Walsh; March 10th, 2015 at 01:43 AM.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans

deepin linux has chrome & is based on ubuntu.
    http://www.linuxdeepin.com/index.en.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123