Thread: where to set socks proxy server (address/port) in thunderbird

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

where to set socks proxy server (address/port) in thunderbird

i need to use a socks proxy server (SOCKS5 as supported via ssh) to access my IMAP/SMTP server from here (where only destination ports 80 and 443 can make connections).
    but the latest Thunderbird does not make it easy to find where this is.
    note that i currently have NO accounts set up in Thunderbird.
    help i found so far says to set this in the account info.
    but setting up an account FAILs because it cannot connect to the mail server yet.
    i need to get the account setup logic to do its connection test via the socks proxy.
    FYI: firefox is connected through this socks proxy right now. i am doing this post via it.
    FYI2: this socks proxy is running via ssh that connects via port 443 to an outsider server configure for sshd to listen on port 443 on a spare IP address.
    the big question thus is: how to configure Thunderbird to use a socks proxy in general for everything before any accounts are set up so it does account tests via the socks proxy.

edit:

when i configure thunderbird like i configure firefox ... for sock proxy ... it still tries to make connects direct (e.g not using socks) for the account setup tests
    Last edited by Skaperen; March 2nd, 2015 at 12:46 PM. Reason: fix a typo and tried to fix a tag but no place to do this
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer