Thread: Desktop wallpaper and nothing else after update

Beans

Desktop wallpaper and nothing else after update

I get my desktop background image but nothing else. I tried a couple of old kernels and they didn't work either. If I go into recovery mode and then select resume my UI comes back. The other difference, probably, is that I'm running MATE and not Unity.

In Recovery mode, I also tried the option to fix broken packages and got an error when it tried to rresolve to a URL. It then said to try apt-get update with --fix - missing or something like that but it didn't give the exact command to try.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; March 2nd, 2015 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Moved to own thread and edited for clarity

Beans

Re: Update Problem

Update: I ran the 4 commends above and tried again. With MATE it still had the same issue. If I selected to log in with Unity, my UI came back up. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix MATE? Or how to revert back to before the last upgrade? As I mentioned I tried a few of my old kernels and that didn't work Or how to reinstall Ubuntu over the top of my current config but NOT change my installed programs or other set up?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Desktop wallpaper and nothing else after upgrade

Posts moved to own thread.

... as your problem appears unrelated to the original poster's on the other thread.

The commands you ran were:

Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Which release are you using and how did you upgrade? You upgraded to a newer release, or did a regular update/upgrade?
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; March 2nd, 2015 at 05:52 AM.

Beans

Re: Desktop wallpaper and nothing else after upgrade

I'm using 14.04 (with MATE UI). It was a regular update that automatically pops up when I'm using Ubuntu through Update Manager.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Desktop wallpaper and nothing else after update

You could try choosing Unity (Ubuntu session?) from the Sessions menu at login. Click the Ubuntu symbol in the top right of the GUI where you put your password (NOT 'Guest Session').

If you could at least get to a functional desktop it will give you a better chance of researching what happened with Mate.

Beans

Re: Desktop wallpaper and nothing else after update

Yes, that is exactly what I have done. I'm on Unity right now searching for clues / answers.