Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spamming other servers virus via apache, how did it get in, and how to get it out?

Beans

Spamming other servers virus via apache, how did it get in, and how to get it out?

Background:
    I've only ever used windows until I spun up my first VPS using ubuntu, and know almost nothing about it. I'm not terrible experienced, but I'm going to try fix this issue
    Issue:
    Yesterday (2/28/15) I got a notice from my hosting company about an abuse complaint, accusing my server of spamming peoples comments. After some hours doing non-related stuff, I saw and addressed the complaint. I immediately went to the only log file I know about, the general Apache log inside it where thousands upon thousands of messages like this (Obviously modified to protect information, also several different IPs were at it at the same time):

85.XX.XXX.155 - - [28/Feb/2015:08:20:20 -0700] "GET http://www.example.com/not/a/site/I-know/postComment HTTP/1.1" 200 12621 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/40.0.2214.111 Safari/537.36"

*gulp* something went wrong. I've turned off the server for now... but I need to get it running again soon.

I have no idea what information is relevant, or how to get it, feel free to ask for info, just tell me where to find it...

My main questions:
    - What is this attack, do I have a virus on my server or how is this working
    - If A virus got on my server, how do I find/patch the hole
    - How to I use blacklists to block IPs, all the offending ones where known spammers
    - Is there anything I should know... where to look for help, what this type of attack is called, to help me conduct research on this... I've spend hours on google with no avail. assume I know nothing.

Beans

Re: Spamming other servers virus via apache, how did it get in, and how to get it out

are you running any kind of a preconfigured website on your web server (wordpress, joomla, etc)? have you been diligent with updates for the server? my advice, backup && reformat && reinstall.
    python -c 'print hex(3 << ((1024/4)-2))[:-1]'
    python -c 'print hex((1 << (1024/4))-1)[:-1]'

Beans

Re: Spamming other servers virus via apache, how did it get in, and how to get it out

No, all my own code... I'm not sure about updating though... I don't think I've ever knowingly updated the server (how do I do that)... yes, it just might be easier to go from a clean slate. My only fear is that because I don't know what I'm doing the hole will still be there and they will just get back in again and again. I really need to know what kind of an attack is allowing them to do this and how they got in then yes, I can use a different setup.

Beans
    Hidden!

I wouldn't worry too much about the lines that look like this:
    85.XX.XXX.155 - - [28/Feb/2015:08:20:20 -0700] "GET http://www.example.com/not/a/site/I-know/postComment HTTP/1.1" 200 12621 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/40.0.2214.111 Safari/537.36"
    That is normal, and indicates that someone is browsing your website.

I'm wondering what is meant by your reference to "spamming" - is it sending out lots unwanted emails? Does your website have some kind of sign-up process? If so, you might need to look at tightening up the registration process to use only verified email addresses. The basic idea is to not blindly send out emails to any old email address (which could be forged) but to send out ONE email requesting the "owner" of the email address confirm that they want to receive emails from you. Until this confirmation is received (which could be by clicking on a link) you shouldn't send any more emails to that person.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

I know the Ubuntu server well enough but I've never used it as a vps before. If you can add a crontab entry, you might consider adding
    Code:
    $ sudo crontab -e
    Then add
    Code:
    x y * * * apt-get update && apt-get -y upgrade && test -e /var/run/reboot-required && shutdown -r now
    where x is a minutes, from 0 to 59 (try not to use 0 to not overload the update servers)
    and y is an hours, from 0 to 23 (try not to use 0 to not overload the update servers)
    This will check for updates once a day, install updates that it finds, check if the system needs to be rebooted after the updates, then restart if it needs to
    Edit: fix typo

Beans

Its sending POST and GET requests to other websites, not anything I own, in an attempt to spam these websites (the body of the comment request is trying to sell car insures and other stuff). Its basically being used to spam other peoples comments against my will. Furthermore, this is not normal usage. I received 4000 of these since yesterday morning, when the expected user base should be a small two digit number, I mean I only launched less then a week ago, and this was designed for a specific small group of people. At the current rate of requests 4000k perday, I'd see alot more usage kinds of usage.

I got auto-flagged by a post2ban system, specifically https://www.blocklist.de/ , who notified my hosting company
    Last edited by GiantCowFilms; March 1st, 2015 at 08:28 PM.

Beans

I don't need to automate it (in fact that could be a problem), but thank you, I will set a reminder to updated it regularly.

Beans

if you have a backup of your site, you can run a diif of your current site and the backup to see what is different (possibly if the problem is at the application layer)
    Code:
    $ diff -u -r /path/to/copy/of/backup /path/to/changed/site

Beans

I looked everywhere there, checked it against my local copy! its outside of /var/www/

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by GiantCowFilms View Post
    Its sending POST and GET requests to other websites, not anything I own, in an attempt to spam these websites (the body of the comment request is trying to sell car insures and other stuff). I
    In a word: backlinks.

If you have comments enabled, you might want to disable or restrict who can post comments on your site.

edit:You might also want to check to see if there's anything on your site that you didn't put there. Look for "strange" files.
    Last edited by lisati; March 1st, 2015 at 09:15 PM.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast