Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu Server Locks Up Randomly During Install on Penguin Computing Servers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Server Locks Up Randomly During Install on Penguin Computing Servers

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    Perhaps you need to clean off the old heat paste and apply some Artic Silver or some decent ceramic heat paste.
    +1

That's exactly what came to mind as I was reading the OP's post. <-- Especially if rackmount cases.

+2 on the silver heat paste... I experience this heat paste problem on 1U cases and old servers. The white ceramic heat sink paste "sets" with heat and gets hard. On 1U cases, when you pull them out of the racks, such as these did when pulled, sold to you, transported to your home... would be suspect. Those cases tend to flex during that, popping the integrity of the heat sink contact. That causes an NMI error when it overheats.

The silver heat sink paste, stays soft and pliant... and is my forgiving. I seem to have learned (the hard way) to buy the silver heat paste in the large tubes and keep them on-hand.

Curios how many cores your opterons have... and how many fans.. (Most my 1U cases have at least 8 mini-fans...)
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; March 5th, 2015 at 05:28 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12