Thread: Bought a new tablet, got the wrong model in the mail

Beans

Bought a new tablet, got the wrong model in the mail

I had paid for a Dell Venue 8 (3830) from Amazon but got the (3840) model in the mail. They each have different specs and I don't know if I should to return it for the the (3830) or keep my mouth shut and be happy they gave me the newer model. The older (3830) model comes with 2GB-DDR2 RAM, but the newer (3840) model comes with 1GB-DDR3 RAM. I need help making up my mind.

3830 specs

3840 specs

The main purpose of buying this tablet is to see if I can get it to run a lightweight Linux distro using a method that I found on XDA. I'm also not that big of a stickler about screen resolution, I mean hell my laptop is just 1366x768 and that's on a 15.6" screen. So yea, I don't care if the older one's resolution is 1280x800.

I guess the big question is will I see a difference between the 1GB DDR3 RAM and the 2GB DDR2 RAM?

Beans

Re: Bought a new tablet, got the wrong model in the mail

Best bet is to keep mouth shout you are getting new model for less price I guess.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When you paid their asking price you entered a contract with Dell and they entered a contract with you. It is my guess that the contract obligates them to supply the agreed product or better. But never the agreed product or worse.

I would not consider 1 GB of DDR 3 Ram to be equal to 2 GB of DDR 2 RAM. I do not think that an increase in data transfer rate can make up for less Memory.

Check the terms and conditions.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I would not consider 1 GB of DDR 3 Ram to be equal to 2 GB of DDR 2 RAM. I do not think that an increase in data transfer rate can make up for less Memory.
    +1

My thoughts exactly. Linux can eat like a bird (if you go for the lightweight distros) but it is very good at taking advantage of extra memory. Android, being a Linux derivative, conforms to this principle.

<added thought>

Unless the higher resolution graphics are more important to you, or the faster CPU, or the more powerful GPU, or...

I guess it depends on what you use it for. I found my old 1GB tablet to be very limiting after I had more than three or four apps running. My new 2 GB gave far more leeway for multiple apps. However, in my case, the newer tablet also had better HW, so your situation is rather counterintuitive. Why don't you look at some reviews of both? You can make your mind up after reading the experience of others.
    Last edited by DuckHook; March 21st, 2015 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Revised opinion with more info

Beans

Interested to know if you install Linux and how it runs. I have a tablet at work that I don't really like using, but might use it if it had Linux.

Beans

When you got the tablet , did you contact back to Amazon?if yes then what did they say?
    But I am quite at a loss to understand why the send you 3840 instead of 3830..
    You should had to bring that into Amazon attention...

Beans

If you are not happy with this model, then return it immediately and inform them about the mistake. You wanted that model for some specific features which you are not finding in this particular model. So just return it.

Beans

^^^ Agree. Take it for a test drive. If it does not run smooth with bunch of apps loaded, then return it for the previous model with more memory.

It's always nice to have extra memory in event of OS updates that require more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would return it and ask for a refund.
    Read this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2187204
    You won't be able to install Ubuntu or any Linux other than Android unless you're a real expert. Even if you succeed in installing, most likely WiFi and audio won't work.
    Galiza Nação!