Thread: Geforce 750ti, AMD A10 APU

Beans

Geforce 750ti, AMD A10 APU

Every time I try to install Ubuntu it doesn't work. First the bios screen comes up then the purple Ubuntu installing screen then after a few moments the screen goes black, not making it to the options page. Not sure what is causing the problem. In my computer I have 2 500 gb HDD, 1 geforce 750ti, an amd a10 APU, 8gb of corsair ram and 500watt PSU.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Cant install ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Geforce 750ti, AMD A10 APU

Nvidia often needs either the nomodeset boot option or closed-source drivers. At least the former is easy to try.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: Geforce 750ti, AMD A10 APU

When I initially installed 64-bit 14.04.1 with GTX 750 Ti, I used nomodeset boot option for live/install and that worked fine. To do that press any key when booting live/install and you see purple screen with keyboard mouse icons at bottom, select your language, then press F6 and use space bar to select nomodeset, then Esc back to boot menu.

But when I booted the installed system I don't think I could even get to gui login, and when I tried to log into a text console it would display the motd for an instant and immediately went back to login prompt. And nvidia-current did not support that new card. So I would suggest booting to recovery, enable networking, wait if that does not seem to return right away, then go to a root console from that menu. Then assuming it is a fresh install or you purged any other nvidia drivers (you don't need to use sudo from root console like you normally would elsewhere):
    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install nvidia-331-updates
    PS: For anyone with a laptop looking at this I heard that nomodeset does not work for hybrid Intel/Nvidia graphics. So when I recently installed 64-bit 14.04.1 to mSATA SSD on laptop in my sig, I did not use that, but installed the same nvidia-331-updates. And that works fine
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers