Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LVM encrypted disk & encrypted /home in Lubuntu Vivid complicated or buggy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: LVM encrypted disk & encrypted home in Lubuntu Vivid complicated or buggy

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Test-cases that I suggest

1. I modified the test-case for encryption only at these places:

'No' for encrypted home directory # Changed from 'Yes'. This is the most important modification.

'Yes' unmount mounted partitions in the target drive # Additional item which is important.

'No' to install grub boot loader to master boot record. Instead select the target drive for the bootloader manually. # Changed from 'Yes'. This is optional but I recommend it because the automatic choice often creates problems for me.

Here is the [not yet modified] test-case for the Lubuntu 32bit alternate installer

Alternate Install (Encryption) in Lubuntu Alternate i386 for Vivid Daily

2. Try the testcase without modifications

I would consider you to be a wizard, if you succeed without any modifications or tweaks. But who knows, you are a very experienced tester .
    I think the main bug is not auto-installing grub to the hdd. The other thing seems to be the message after bootup and after entering passphrase .. it will query, Wait, Skip or manual and , of course , choose wait. Thats it

So you had solution to first problem so you are the wizard Me? I just waited lol

Regards

Beans
    Distro

Great, it seems to work for you

I agree, the alternate installer is not always easy to understand. Some options are hidden

What is working for you?

What happens with cryptswap after a second reboot? It is lost for me (as you can see, it seems I'm affected by https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ls/+bug/953875)
    oy .. Ok .. will check.

Beans
    Distro

Great, it seems to work for you

I agree, the alternate installer is not always easy to understand. Some options are hidden

What is working for you?

What happens with cryptswap after a second reboot? It is lost for me (as you can see, it seems I'm affected by https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ls/+bug/953875)
    Every second boot!

Beans
    Distro

I tested Lubuntu Vivid 32-bit alternate according to

3. Try with encrypted home but without encrypted disks and LVM

Boot several times into the installed system. Check that the cryptswap survives

Lo and behold, cryptswap disappears also without encrypted disk. It is there when rebooted after installation, but after the next reboot it is gone.

A (new?) bug is found. But how should I report it? Against which package? Can it be confirmed?
    Yes .. I can confirm every second boot I can get a working encrypted desktop. Otherwise I get blackscreen and no response to keyboard input.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Yes .. I can confirm every second boot I can get a working encrypted desktop. Otherwise I get blackscreen and no response to keyboard input.
    So it works in an old computer with Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz but not in my Toshiba with Intel i5.

What could cause the difference?

I have an old Dell with Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.8 GHz. I'll test in that computer.

Edit: Did you check for cryptswap? You can also check with

Code:
    swapon -s

Beans
    Distro

So it works in an old computer with Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz but not in my Toshiba with Intel i5.

What could cause the difference?

I have an old Dell with Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.8 GHz. I'll test in that computer.

Edit: Did you check for cryptswap? You can also check with

Code:
    swapon -s
    cryptswap comes up on the opening logon after I enter passphrase. It tells me that it cannot find cryptswap and queries , Wait, Skip, Manual.. I just wait and it boots up ... but I tired your code:

Code:
    swapon -s
    and it reported nothing but it's there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ventrical; March 4th, 2015 at 09:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I am making a loose assumption that there is somthing in the grub.conf file that is causing this (or one of the grub files) because of the way every second boot to get a login.

Beans
    Distro

Not there..

Code:
    ventrical@ubuntu:~$ swapon -a
    swapon: stat failed /dev/mapper/cryptswap1: No such file or directory
    ventrical@ubuntu:~$

Beans
    Hidden!

Interesting that every second boot gets a login. What if you try the fix from post #13

Code:
    modified /etc/crypttab:
    # <target name>    <source device>        <key file>    <options>
    cryptswap1 /dev/sda5 /dev/urandom swap,cipher=aes-cbc-essiv:sha256

Beans
    Distro

Interesting that every second boot gets a login. What if you try the fix from post #13

Code:
    modified /etc/crypttab:
    # <target name>    <source device>        <key file>    <options>
    cryptswap1 /dev/sda5 /dev/urandom swap,cipher=aes-cbc-essiv:sha256
    You mean completely overwrite:

Code:
    sda5_crypt UUID=323a113e-3b22-4d08-9af9-e19d1e4c0425 none luks,discard
    cryptswap1 UUID=2bd8098e-69e9-4bdd-9057-4219166957f7 /dev/urandom swap,cipher=aes-cbc-essiv:sha256
    with the above you suggested?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast