Thread: Executing scripts with root permissions from CRON

Beans

Executing scripts with root permissions from CRON

Hi,

So I thought before that setting something to run with crontab, under root, would make it execute with root permissions, but it either does not execute at all or not with the right permissions. For instance for the last whole day I had this in my root crontab, which require root permissions:
    Code:
    25 * * * * touch /home/my.txt
    Yet it did not execute even once. I thought something my not have been updated or so so I rebooted my computer with no luck.
    Additionally on my personal user crontab:
    Code:
    30 * * * * touch /home/alex/my.txt
    And it also does not execute. Am I'm so stupid or don't understand something really important why this is not working?

PS: In my syslog I get these to entries corresponding to CRON, which seem to tell me that it is executing it, but I do not understand the message why unsuccessfully:
    Code:
    Feb 22 17:25:01 botev-ThinkPad-T440 CRON[3413]: Cannot make/remove an entry for the specified session
    Feb 22 17:30:01 botev-ThinkPad-T440 CRON[3507]: Cannot make/remove an entry for the specified session

Beans

Re: Executing scripts with root permissions from CRON

It's unwise to ask root to muck about in your non-root home directory. For testing, /tmp is a good place.
    Remember to use full paths or a specified $PATH with cron. '/usr/bin/touch' instead of 'touch'
    A datestamp can he handy, so you don't get fooled by leftover results from a previous test.

There are two different types of root crontab. One is created with 'sudo crontab -e', the other lives in /etc/cron*
    Code:
    * * * * * root /bin/date > /tmp/crondir_test_result      # /etc/cron*       - easier to maintain, good practice
    * * * * * /bin/date > /tmp/crontab_test_result           # sudo crontab -e  - convenient, harder to maintain
    The syslog error looks like a PAM error to me, not a cron error.
    Last edited by ian-weisser; February 24th, 2015 at 03:17 PM.

Beans

I'm also starting to thing that there might be a PAM problem, reason is that the 'pam.d/cron' include @common-auth, which in my case also includes a finger print reader, which might be making the problem.

As for the other I'm sure cron is set up as root, and the reason I do this to system folder is that I have a small device on which I want weekly/monthly to use cron to clean /var/log from the archives. As mentioned the root cron tries to do it in /home, while I've set up the user cron to do in /home/user/, but both don't work.

Beans

Root-executed cron jobs can be created
    1. with "sudo crontab -e" which places the result in /var/spool/cron/root
    2. by editing as root /etc/crontab, or by
    3. creating a symlink in /etc/cron.[hourly|daily|weekly|monthly] to an executable file.

For periodic jobs, I prefer the last of these. I keep all my system-level scripts in /usr/local/sbin and link to them from the /etc/cron.* directories. For jobs on an unconventional schedule, I usually use /etc/crontab so everything is consolidated in one place.

In /etc/crontab, your job would have the entry:
    Code:
    25 * * * * root touch /home/alex/rootfile.txt
    You could also create the job:
    Code:
    25 * * * * alex touch /home/alex/alexfile.txt
    And you'll get two files with different permissions.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; February 23rd, 2015 at 07:10 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

That might be a better idea to keep them that way, would probably stick to it - at least learning some good practice

As for the problem it turned out I had some problems really with the PAM module, so fixing that fixed the permissions problem and everything works fine now.