Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 14.04/ any linux disto not installing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu 14.04/ any linux disto not installing

Well, you will need to tell me how to do that... Also I got it installed, but it hangs at the page after the loggin... D:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Here is how it acts. This is when I loggin:
    IMG_20150222_183617.jpg
    Then after I loggin, the screen flashes randomly for about 10 seconds, and then hangs (I tested this for 5 minutes) :
    IMG_20150222_185023.jpg
    Grrrrr computer I hate you D:

Beans

Did you try switching to a virtual terminal? At the grub menu, you can type e to edit (instructions at bottom of screen), and on the line starting with "linux" add "nomodeset" (no quotes) just before the "quiet splash".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

At the grub screen, press the <down arrow> once to see the instructions and so it doesn't go away (timer). Press the <up Arrow> key to return the the first menu option. Press what ever key the instruction say, to get into an edit mode. May be <E> or <Tab> depending...

When you get into the edit mode, go down to the line that starts with "linux". That is the kernel boot line. Go the the end of that line and append "nomodeset". Press <cntl><X> to boot...

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I tried nomodeset, Ubuntu had the "Error sound" that it has when you try to close firefox with two or more tabs, and then when I reset, MY COMPUTER STAYS AT BIOS SCREEN D:
    Now I can't use my computer, let alone Ubuntu
    D:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Okay, now my computer is back
    This will be a however long reply, so get ready.
    This isn't real code, but it looks cooler
    Code:
    Try 1: NOAPIC: Went through with install, and success upon install process. When I booted up the install of Ubuntu 14.04.02 64x (the version I always install), it went through with log in, then showed the Ubuntu symbol as if I had two monitors (I don't even have two monitor slots on my graphics card...). The install never booted correctly, except in graphics fail-safe mode.

Try 2: NOMODESET: Had the black screen and idle processor function (as seen by my CPU usage light). Never installed.

Try 3: NOLAPIC: Had the, like NOMODESET, black screen and idle processor... No install.

What I thought: "Maybe combining "NOAPIC", which worked, with "NOMODESET" would work together...

Try 4: NOMODSET & NOAPIC: Black screen and idle processor. No install.

-HARD RESET-
    (It had been a while).

Try 5: EDD=ON: Black screen and idle processor, no install.

Try 6: ACPI=OFF: Black screen and idle processor, no install.

-HARD RESET-

Try 7: NODMRAID: Black screen and idle processor, no install... Again...

-Next day-
    -HARD RESET-

What I thought: "Every time I boot into an OS, my LAN light turns from yellow and orange (connected to internet) to yellow and yellow (local only)... Why?"
    Well, I hope that helps.
    Also, my internet isn't working well on my desktop, so D:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Also, I finally understood what you said with the nomodeset, I did that by editing in the Grub menu, and it booted
    However, no internet means that I can't get the drivers to install, so now we wait until my LAN works :/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Update: Awwwww... My internet isn't working due to drivers, and the drivers won't install without a source of Ubuntu's kernel... WTF? Anyways, I hope that I can get it to work... nVidia sucks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, after so long, my computer is now broken, so it probably wasn't Linux's problem. Someone mark this as closed please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Sorry to hear your computer is broken . . . I was thinking the nomodeset option would at least allow you to install the proprietary video drivers. But no internet (wifi drivers needed, but ethernet does not require drivers)???

Anyway, IF, repeat IF, you're in the market now for a new PC . . . then you have more options for getting a PC with Ubuntu pre-installed. But IF , repeat, IF you still need Windows (and are not a gamer), you can install Windows inside Ubuntu using Virtual Box . . . . need at least 8 GiB for optimal performance.

Here's the company I like for Ubuntu pre-installed hardware (loven my Galago Ultra-Pro). https://system76.com/

Also, for a broader list: http://linuxpreloaded.com/

And Dell just recently broadened their laptop offerings for Ubuntu: http://pilot.search.dell.com/linux
    Last edited by Geoffrey_Arndt; May 27th, 2015 at 04:53 PM. Reason: correction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12