Thread: edit gnome-shell top bar

Beans

Question edit gnome-shell top bar

if you can see the above picture (taken from I believe Ubuntu 14.10 w/ Unity), that's what I'm going for.
    I have managed to edit an existing extension to get my name back on the right side of the top bar (however, it's for looks only, can't click it so I have the extension disabled)
    but what I would really like is to get the "power icon" back on the right side of my top bar and be able to use it to access the user/system menu instead of having to click on
    my batter/sound/wifi icon.

I recently upgraded to gnome 3.14 and then downgraded back to 3.12 and noticed that the icon did appear until restart after going through that process, but like I said, after re-starting, everything reverts to normal. I have noticed other distro's show screenshots with the icon, so I'm guessing it's possible?

I'm running Ubuntu Gnome 14.10 with all updates thus far and Gnome-shell 3.12.2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: edit gnome-shell top bar

you can do the change after installing 'dconf-editor', then select 'dconf' to run it

Beans

have you looked through the extensions, i saw 1 that lets you tweak the top panel. never tried it myself.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 9d9 View Post
    you can do the change after installing 'dconf-editor', then select 'dconf' to run it
    I have looked through dconf-editor, but I will check again..

just for s---s and giggles, here is a screenshot after upgrading to gnome 3.14 and then downgrading back to 3.12.2

apparently, it removes the battery indicator and replaces it with the icon I'm trying go keep. once I restart however, the battery icon will return and the circle will be gone for good.
    Last edited by William_Osendott; February 23rd, 2015 at 07:14 AM.

Beans

I have checked the extensions, yes. I'm probably using the one you're thinking of, and it does allow quite a bit of tweaking, but not this.
    I thought I remembered seeing one that specifically added this icon back, however I can't seem to locate it on the website anymore, so I'm going to assume my memory is just wrong as I can find every other extension I've ever needed there.
    Last edited by William_Osendott; February 23rd, 2015 at 07:25 AM.