Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: a new browser VIvaldi

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

fast browsers indeed!

2 fastest ones for me in recent times

Palemoon or otter-browser
    Last edited by shantiq; April 26th, 2015 at 10:02 AM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans

Re: a new browser VIvaldi

Vivaldi Browser offers a number of features, which Opera lovers will remember. The application allows for mouse gestures for browsing and the ever familiar “speed dial” interface, which shows your favorite tabs on the new tab page.
    Vivaldi Browser

The Vivaldi Browser has some new tools too, like multiple tabs. Tabs can now be combined into one to allow for simple browsing of associated sites. For example, if you were looking into your family tree online, you can group all the tabs on that topic into a single saved space.

Vivaldi looks good according to the current flat/minimalist fashion. The first thing you’ll probably notice is that tabs and menus change color based on the dominant palette of your active page. This “chameleon” effect looks fresh at least. It can be turned off if it doesn’t suit your tastes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Well doesn`t Sasha look like the developer come into rescue his package with his 25 beans. Sorry to be jaded but I just wish the mainstream Google Chrome or Chromium or Firefox would just work properly in Linux.

Lacking that a cool little subroutine that would take all those google ads and put up pictures of your favourite car, kids, house, flowers, dog or even (god Forbid) cats instead would be nice.

How hard is it to write a Google Chrome add-in that hijacks all the ads and replaces them with something you actually want to see. In retrospect maybe it would be hard because other users would have to `tag` a give frame as being an `ad` such that subsequent visitors would never see that ad.
    Last edited by WinEunuchs2Unix; May 12th, 2015 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Correction

Beans

I use Firefox, Midori and Qupzilla have failed me. I don't like to use Non OSS software if i don't have to....maybe I'll just have to write my own browser once I finish learning to program...

Anyone know of a browser using WxWidgets?

Beans

I don't like the Vivaldi browser, I downloaded the technical preview and I really wasn't comfortable with the UI. And the bottom panel bothered me, I found no way to remove it from sight. Though it wasn't yet included in this preview, I also find the idea of a built-in mail totally useless. Why an email client in a browser when one can easily log in online? Such features usually bloat the browser in the long term. But I guess I am not among the ''power-users'' the devs are aiming for.

Still, that's yet another Chromium browser. Since I am not that much a fan of the Blink engine, as found in Google Chrome nowadays, I guess I'll pass.

Firefox is getting so good these days, mightily fast on my hardware and combined with BluHell Firewall to block most ads and trackers it offers optimal performance. I have no reason to consider seriously an alternative browser anyway. If it ain't broke, don't fix it some might say.
    Last edited by night_sky2; May 13th, 2015 at 06:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Tar_Ni View Post

I doubt it. They would have to partner with Adobe to develop their own pepperflash and it's a long process. Google did it and Opera is still working on implementing peperflash but that takes time. It doesn't makes much sense either, as adobe flash will not be part of the future of Internet.
    I fear useful flash content will persist longer than many of us would like. New content may use Flash's successors but I don't know how much existing content will be converted.

Beans

I don't understand why companies want to make closed-source programing languages. I mean, seriously, html5 can be used with most newer devices and browsers. Flash just isn't, it also doesn't run on most mobile devices.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I fear useful flash content will persist longer than many of us would like. New content may use Flash's successors but I don't know how much existing content will be converted.
    Maybe but even as a Firefox user on Linux I am prepared for that. I've now installed the Fresh Player Plugin which is a wrapper allowing me to use the latest pepperflash in Firefox. My biggest concerns was that I would have to be stukc stuck with the old 11.2 Abode Flash plugin for Firefox Linux in the long term but that's not longer the case now.

For 'Vivaldi' there isn't any concern either, Windows user will be able to download the latest NPAPI release of Adobe and on Linux they will use pepperflash, since it's a Chromium browser.
    Last edited by night_sky2; May 13th, 2015 at 06:23 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by benrob0329 View Post
    I don't understand why companies want to make closed-source programing languages. I mean, seriously, html5 can be used with most newer devices and browsers. Flash just isn't, it also doesn't run on most mobile devices.
    To be fair, the big streaming players like Youtube, Dailymotion, Vimeo and even Netflix have all made the switch to HTML5. The reason why Flash has still a few years to go is because it will take some time for all the streaming and gaming services out there to fully make switch. Until then, you'll still need a plugin capable of rendering flash contents in case you run into such. Phasing out this technology is a process, that is going slowly but surely.

That's why I am very interested in a Mozilla project called 'Shumway'. It would provide an open-source replacement to the Adobe plugin by converting flash content to HTML5.

''Shumway is an open-source replacement for Adobe Flash Player. It has been developed by Mozilla since 2012.[1] It is an improvement on an earlier project called Gordon; these names are an allusion to Flash Gordon and Gordon Shumway.[2]

[...]

''Shumway renders Flash contents by translating contents inside Flash files to HTML5 elements, and ActionScript into JavaScript. It supports both AVM1 and AVM2, and ActionScript versions 1, 2, and 3.[3]
    ''

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shumway_%28software%29
    Last edited by night_sky2; May 13th, 2015 at 06:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I am using the Vivaldi technical preview three web browser and I finally figured out how to hack LastPass Premium to get it to work (mostly). I think that Vivaldi is poised to become a small market web browser that appeals to old Opera users that didn't like it when the unique features were stripped out gradually over time. Vivaldi has some innovative new features of its' own that I welcome and I too am waiting for the stable version to be shipped for GNU/Linux. Once it does, I plan to switch from Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome to Vivaldi full-time. This has all of the trappings to become an excellent small market web browser. Who knows what portends for its' future?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast