Thread: Ubuntu internal error

Beans

Ubuntu internal error

Upon the initial boot of Ubuntu I received a message "Sorry, Ubuntu 14.04 experienced an internal error." Some screen shots of the error output are below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Ubuntu internal error

This is apport. It can be disabled if your getting a false report.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport

But first you can try resetting it by removing the crash reports in /var/crash/.

Beans

It didn't seem like a false report. The computer was not usable and I was lucky to get access to the pictures above. The mouse moved on the screen with a delay of 10's of seconds. There was something in an error that mentioned a core of the CPU was maxed out, which is exactly what it seemed like was happening. I posted the pictures because I wasn't sure I would be able to do anything else with the machine. Thanks very much for the reply.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Ok, looks like you got kerneloops going on.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingKernelOops

This also looks like a fresh install, so better to start there.

How did you install? Did you do a checksum on the download? Did you burn the dvd at low speed?

And for reference, what are your computer specs (ram, cpu, video)?

edit
    http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...ch&cof=FORID:9

Beans

I installed with a DVD. I tried to use a USB and it hung. I don't know if I did a checksum download or not. I suspect that not knowing is enough to mean that I didn't. I also didn't fiddle with the burn speed on the DVD burner. The computer is an old Dell tower. The processor is an AMD Athlon dual core 4400+. There are 2 gb or ram and I am using the on board video controller. I did have an external PCI-e video card in the computer at time of install, but I had the bios set to look on the mother board. I am using a 40 gb Intel SSD. Oh, and it is a fresh install. The pictures I posted are after rebooting a couple of times because it locked up but essentially immediately after a fresh install. After crashing the computer did want to run through a memory check. It went for quite a while and I got sick of it and stopped it about 1/2 way. There were no errors. I should also say that this machine was previously a windows XP machine and worked find up until yesterday when I switched it to Ubuntu. (That sounds like I am blaming Ubuntu which I am not. I am only saying that the hardware, although old, should be fine.)

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Have you tried the option to run ubuntu from the dvd before installing?

Also ubuntu is graphics demanding and your on board video controller probably can't handle it.

Try running a live session. You may have to go with a desktop that is easier on your resources.